2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Wild Hog Legs?

9K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Dookie Ray 
#1 ·
Ive got a rear hind quarter from about a 30lb hog. I thought about trying to smoke it for pulled pork. Has anyone done this before?

#2 ·
I cook quite a lot of pulled pork. Which typical pulled pork at least what I have seen is made from the Boston butt which is actually the front shoulder. I have also cooked wild hog in the past and my main concern with using it for pulled pork would be the lack of fat which to me the fat rnedered during the cooking of the boston butt is what makes the pulled pork good and juicy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#4 ·
If i was going to cook a wild hog leg/shoulder for pulled pork, i would inject the hell out of it with apple juice, season it heavily and smoke at 250. Water pans in the pit at all times. Also make a good mop sauce to drench it regularly. Pull it at 150 or maybe earlier internal temp (when the bark looks good) and wrap in foil, cook to 205 internal temp.

#10 ·
Great thread! Question - every time I have smoked or cooked wild hog hindquarter it is so gamey I cannot eat. Front shoulders and backstraps are NOT that way. I heard that there's a gland that needs to be removed from the hindquarter? Any experience with this?

Thanks,
T-BONE
(tpool)

#15 ·
Ok - from gutpile.net.... "Once your meat has been iced down you want to remove the glands. This is very important as far as the taste of the meat goes. There are glands located in the hind quarter folds where the muscles are. Separate the muscles and you will find the glands."

So looks like that's why it was unedible!!!

T-BONE
(tpool)

#16 ·
Ok - from gutpile.net.... "Once your meat has been iced down you want to remove the glands. This is very important as far as the taste of the meat goes. There are glands located in the hind quarter folds where the muscles are. Separate the muscles and you will find the glands."

So looks like that's why it was unedible!!!

T-BONE
(tpool)
Yessir, the glands is what the problem was

#18 ·
UPDATE:

I smoked the leg this weekend. I basted with yellow mustard and seasoned with Pig *** rub, brined the leg in apple juice and apple cider vinegar for 36 hours. Placed straight on pit at 225 for about 3 hours (internal temp about 140) wrapped and added some apple juice in the wrap. Cook to 195 and basted with BBQ Sauce.

Results in my opinion where ok. The dark meat was moist and tender and tasted pretty good. The white meat was a little dryer than I would have liked.

I think next time I would wrap it in bacon to try and help retain moisture, start out wrapped and unwrap the last hour or 2 to give it a nice bark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.