Factory Rifle/Factory Ammo .375 MOA - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
housewolf
Registered Users-pm+

housewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Pirate
Factory Rifle/Factory Ammo .375 MOA

I recently bought a Tikka CTR 20” barrel in 6.5 CM with the hopes of it replacing both my Savage T10 6.5 (sold on here) and my Rem Model Seven 7mm08 (for sale on here). I’ve killed deer with the Savage and the 6.5 does a great job on them. It’s just that the rifle was so long and heavy, I didn’t like carrying it to, or using it in the blind. I did enjoy shooting steel targets out to 1K yds on a friends property though.

I’ve never shot the 7mm08 that far but I suspect the caliber is reasonably capable. The Model Seven is a handy little gun for hunting but not something I’d enjoy shooting that far the better part of an afternoon. The (Leupold) scope on it wasn’t suited at all for long distance target shooting.

I’ve been zeroing/shooting 100 yds with it the last few weekends when I had a chance and shot some pretty decent groups. Last weekend I had a few minutes and was in area so I went to ASC to shoot 300 yds. One group, 5 shots, 1.181” or .375 MOA. Not the best of five groups or anything like that. This is an out of the box, moderately priced, factory gun, with nothing but a trigger adjustment shooting factory Hornady 120g A-Max ammo. I’m not implying it would/could consistently repeat that performance but I don’t expect much variance.

I’m very happy with the way this gun shoots and while it is a pound heavier than the Model Seven it is just as short/handy.
Attached Images

housewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
That's like finding money on the floor! Sweet.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
Have one with a 24” barrel. Love it. I think it’s one of the best factory triggers out there. Mine shoots factory about .75-.80moa. But I’m fixing to start handloading for it. Haven’t tried 120s though. Just 140/147s.
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
housewolf
Registered Users-pm+

housewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Piratehousewolf has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csafisher View Post
Have one with a 24” barrel. Love it. I think it’s one of the best factory triggers out there. Mine shoots factory about .75-.80moa. But I’m fixing to start handloading for it. Haven’t tried 120s though. Just 140/147s.
Up until Saturday, most of my (100 yd) groups have been 1/2” - 3/4” with a few outliers; smaller & larger. I think it likes the 140s best but I had more 120s so I went with that. I have some 147s but haven’t shot any yet.

I quit handloading and gave away all my stuff 20 years ago. Recently I’ve been considering getting back to it. With results like this, frankly; I have a hard time justifying it. Maybe I’ll just get some Wilson hand dies and a little arbor press... or maybe not

I don’t believe I shoot enough to make it cost effective, and with great factory ammo available I can’t think of a good reason to.

For now I’m just happy to own a target rifle I can hunt with and is fun to shoot. I’d been thinking about something like this for a couple of years, I’m glad I did it.
housewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
specktout
Registered Users-pm+

specktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Piratespecktout has been promoted to Pirate
I have three Tikka's 6.5x55 sw, 223, and 7m-08. They are all 1 moa or less right out of the box with hand loads. The only issue Ive had is the magazine length, I like to set my bullets out near the lands, but the mags are designed to allow only factory OAL ammo.
specktout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
JDog
Registered Users-pm+

JDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJDog has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
I have a CTR 20” 6.5CM as well. This is the first 5-shot group I ever shot with it. I was really just sighting the durn thing in! I bet I can get a 1/2” group outta this thing as I start to shoot more with it. This was factory ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message