Reds on 2lb Trilene? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Line Class Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
jrb007
Registered Users-pm+

jrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerjrb007 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
sounds fun to try...I throw 6-10lb suffix pending on whether throwing top water or 1/8 oz jig heads... w/ a core, and curados, and my friends always wander why I am casting further than their 12 lb line, If your in a flat then set drag light should be fine.
jrb007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
fishingcacher
Registered Users-pm+

fishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Piratefishingcacher has been promoted to Pirate
I have only used 2lb test on rainbow trout.
fishingcacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Charlie2
Registered Users-pm+

Charlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to PirateCharlie2 has been promoted to Pirate
Light Line Fishing

You can always spot a light line fisherperson on the beach. He/she's the one with the broken line, complaining about the break offs. C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #14
Gladesgator
Registered Users-pm+

Gladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGladesgator has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalflyfisher View Post
So I have a friend who is sight casting to, and catching, Reds with a spinning rod and is throwing 1/8 oz. gold spoons with light line.

I'm up for that and thinking of trying with 2 lb. Trilene tied with a Bimini Twist to Frog Hair tippet 5X (3.7 lb test) leader.

Comments?

Is the 2 lb too small for Reds in shallow water?
No, it is not to small there were several IGFA World records set with it back in the 1980s when Berkeley was paying $1,000 for each record. Most, of the record Reds were caught out of Flamingo, FL.

I caught one on Fly using 2# tippet, it was a WR at the time. It is very doable but certainly not easy by any means.
Gladesgator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
Permit Rat
Windknot Light Tackle & Fly

Permit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to Pirate
Lots of good replies here. Redfish on 2 lb. is certainly doable. One poster mentioned getting broken off during the hookset. This is because all monofilament lines will chafe at a 4-6" area where you normally pick up the line with your index finger. Think about this: We all like a certain amount of line outside our rod tips, prior to making a cast. That length is usually determined by the weight of the lure, but no matter, that length is nearly the same for every cast. So this means we are picking up the line at (nearly)the same spot, every time we make a cast. In doing so, the ridges/callouses in our fingertip will chafe the line and I have seen this with my own eyes. The problem is that with the ultra fine lines, like 2 and 4 lb., this minor chafe can become catastrophic and significantly weaken the line. BTW, the problem goes away, starting at about 8 lb. diameter and I can't remember a problem with 6 lb., but I don't fish 6 very often.

To remedy the problem, you need a "casting leader." This is a length of 8 lb. line knotted to your double line at one end and to your shock leader at the other end. The length will obviously depend on the length of the rod, but basically, you want it long enough such that you are picking up the 8 lb. with your index finger, and not 2 or 4 lb. I would have it long enough so that I could tie on a few new shock leaders if necessary and still be picking up 8 lb. with my finger when casting. Assuming you have made a good double line knot, you should not have a failure of that kind anyway, ever again.

Hooks is definitely another issue. I used to use (if I remember) a #10 dry fly hook for 2 lb. That's the finest wire you can get, for ease of penetration. These are bronzed hooks, so they will rust unless you take extra care with them, but it's all worth it. Someone mentioned using a slug-o as an artificial. In the Keys we use a lot of live shrimp and crabs. I would attach them to the hook with small rubber bands....but this is sight fishing and not near as many casts are made on a daily basis. Food for thought.
Permit Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message