Learning a lot about fly fishing the shallows - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
Prof. Salt
Registered Users-pm+

Prof. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to Pirate
Learning a lot about fly fishing the shallows

It seems every time I creep through the shallows with a fly rod, I come back knowing more about how to gain interest of fish in the super-skinny flats. This morning the tails were waving and the chartreuse Clouser on my 8 weight was just what the fish wanted. I was surprised to find black drum willing to eat it, but they were eager when I managed to get their attention. They aren't as aware of their surroundings as redfish and I even ran the lure across the backs of a few with little reaction ...until it ran in front of their noses. They could use some glasses ...or I need to slow down the lure for them.

The red got my attention as it was tailing towards me, so I placed the fly a foot to the fish's side and stripped to get the lure in sight of the fish. It followed the fly right to the kayak, and didn't strike until I did a figure-eight right beside the kayak. The strike was loud and violent, and I had a big smile as the fish tore across the flats throwing mud and grass all over the place. Fun stuff!

Prof. Salt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Yes, that’s some good stuff, stalking fish up shallow. A redfish like that one never disappoints.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
RUFcaptain
Registered Users-pm+

RUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to Pirate
The trick with black drum is micro strips. Wether it’s reds on the flats or a yellowfin tuna in deep blue water, it’s all fun on a fly rod!
RUFcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Ugh! Tell me that water wasn't black before you stirred it up.

I've caught blacks on a lot of things, including spoons - but it was always a fluke. Getting them to hit a lure on purpose is pretty artful stuff. As is having the presence of mind to get that red to bite after he's already passed. Nice work.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Oh, i don't know.. I had two blacks tailing the other day and I caught both on lures. they just have to be big enough to want a baitfish.. they mostly each crabs and shrimp most of the time. I've caught them off and on, on lures of various sorts.. mostly small baitfish imitations.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #6
Prof. Salt
Registered Users-pm+

Prof. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to PirateProf. Salt has been promoted to Pirate
I'm getting the addiction, so Saturday I returned for more. The water was lower, making it difficult to sneak up on the reds. I managed one lone crawler, then I located the drum feeding in a foot of water. I knocked out a limit of eater sized fish and then released a few more just for grins. They require multiple passes of the fly just to get them to look up, but then once I got their attention it was pretty simple. All were hooked right in the lip, so releases were quick and simple.

Monday I returned yet again, and water levels were back up and allowed me to sneak in close. I managed a nice 24.5" fish and towards noon I found a big fish napping with its back exposed. I grabbed the 4 weight and gently placed a little Clouser right in front of the fish and Boom! It ran well down into the backing before I got it stopped. I smiled for the rest of the day!

Old 09-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #7
Prof. Salt
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post
Ugh! Tell me that water wasn't black before you stirred it up.

I've caught blacks on a lot of things, including spoons - but it was always a fluke. Getting them to hit a lure on purpose is pretty artful stuff. As is having the presence of mind to get that red to bite after he's already passed. Nice work.
Haha, the water had 4-6 inches of visibility before I muddied it up. When they have backs and tails showing it doesn't matter as much. I think they must feel the fly moving in the water so they know how to find it.

Thanks, I am really enjoying being able to watch the fish react to the fly. It's teaching me a lot about how to draw a strike from them.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
Bullitt4439
Registered Users-pm+

Bullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to Pirate
Very cool. With all the redfish I have been catching this summer I need to get a fly rod and try it out. Seems like it would be easy to sneak in on 10-15 reds tailing in a foot or less of water, but I'm sure that's an illusion.
Bullitt4439 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Prof. Salt
Registered Users-pm+

Stealth is the big factor, but if you can ease in without them hearing you it can be a lot of fun.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
bertha
Registered Users-pm+

bertha is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
That's interesting!
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message