Was I in the wrong? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Unread 08-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

bmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Pirate
Was I in the wrong?

I always try to be very respectful on the water. Whenever other boats are in an area I planned to fish, I always stop at least a few hundred yards out to see how they are drifting or the direction they are wading. I’ve been accused of being overly cautious by just going to another area to avoid the possibility crowding someone and affecting someone else’s fishing.

I also buy into the philosophy that if you are fishing a cut or other boating lane, you just have to accept that there will be boat traffic. When I am fishing in this situation , I always prefer other boats to go through on plane. Leave less wake and are gone 10-15 seconds.

I don’t think I was in the wrong but if I was I don’t mind being educated to prevent doing it again in the future.

Here is the situation. I was fishing in Rockport last week. For the past few years, I’ve spent 7-8 days/year on the water down there. I would consider myself familiar with the area but obviously a whole lot to learn. Based on where we were staying, I wanted to learn my way around Estes Flats a bit. I don’t have a super shallow boat so knew I would need to be careful to avoid running aground or tearing up the sea grass. I had a morning that I was out by myself during the week so I thought I would explore what appeared to be a lane I found on Google Maps running East/west from the ICW to Corpus Christi Bayou. I idled most of the time and found where I was comfortable running as was 3’ deep most of the way. The next day with my wife I ran it on plane. That morning some boats were fishing about 30-50 yards south of these lanes. I had the one finger salute thrown my way by both of them gesturing to go around them to the south.

If I had gone around to the south I’m pretty confident I would have run aground. It’s obvious from the pictures that many who have done so left significant prop scars, even if they could run it. I actually did rub bottom really hard on some shell trying to cut to the northern lane when I came to a third boat. Screwed my prop up pretty good.

I apologize if any of you were the ones I ****** off. I wasn’t trying to be a selfish ***.

Opinions?

1st pic zoomed out

2nd pic - east/west cut I was running from ICW to Corpus Christi Bayou. Two 25’ wide cuts that with shell ref running down the middle. I was in south one.

bmc4041 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

bmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Pirate
On the plus side, 5 minutes after this I was able to help pull a couple guys off a flat. They had run themselves up about 50 yards on a flat across Corpus Christi Bayou from where I came out. Tide was going to be falling for rest of the day so got them off just in time.
Unread 08-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
AstroFan1975
Registered Users-pm+

AstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerAstroFan1975 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I don't think you were in the wrong. The boat lanes are for boats. If someone has an issue, don't fish near boat lanes.
AstroFan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
If that's a boat lane then no you're not wrong at all. Always try to do the best you can to be courteous, I'm the same way, however sometimes people just misinterpret what you're doing or they're idiots and take offense incorrectly. Sometimes you just gotta shrug it off.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Davidsel47 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
some people are gonna get ****** no matter what you do. I wouldn't jeopardize my safety or boat in the same situation.
Davidsel47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

Was I in the wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
If that's a boat lane then no you're not wrong at all. Always try to do the best you can to be courteous, I'm the same way, however sometimes people just misinterpret what you're doing or they're idiots and take offense incorrectly. Sometimes you just gotta shrug it off.

I assume it is a boat lane. Like I said I’m not super familiar with area and maybe the locals don’t consider it to be one. Sure looks like one on google maps. It was 3-4 feet deep with mud bottom most of the way and 18-24” grass bottom when outside of it. Shell reef down the middle of the two.
Unread 08-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
loco4fishn
Registered Users-pm+

loco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirateloco4fishn has been promoted to Pirate
Talking

Yeah!!! Were you in a boat with a purple wrap with pink butterflies?!?! You totally ruined my fishing. Jk. You were in the right. Looks like a boat lane to me too. Don’t sweat it. As said before can’t make everyone happy.
loco4fishn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

ccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunner
I grew up there.. that's the old railroad line.. we duck hunted a lot out of those little islands

Not everyone has a skinny water boat... while no one likes to have someone run by them close not sure what other options you had
ccoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
oponder
OP

oponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirateoponder has been promoted to Pirate
Thats not a boat lane thats the edges of an old RR trussel and if you get on that thing it will rip out your lower unit they may have been trying to warn you how perilous a situation you where in.
oponder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

Was I in the wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oponder View Post
Thats not a boat lane thats the edges of an old RR trussel and if you get on that thing it will rip out your lower unit they may have been trying to warn you how perilous a situation you where in.

Thank you. Good to know.

I did it at idle the first time with no issues and no issues running it on plane twice after that. I’ll take your advice though and not risk it anymore. I’m assuming you mean you can’t run on either side, even if you avoid the old trusses in the middle.

Lesson learned and sorry to the guys I passed who were fishing.