Consumption ban reports are pretty scary - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
Jhonny
Where is my hook

Jhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to Gunner
Consumption ban reports are pretty scary

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...and-advisories

I understand ship channel and bayous, but it seems all bays too ;/ galveston, east, west, chocolate bay. All catfish and crabs no go, and trouts are iffy. I guess that leaves redfish and flounder dinners.
Jhonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Pppffffttttt - nothing to see here.

Been lots of OLD folks have ignored those bans for decades. Healthy as ever in their old age.

Or the juice clense superfood types that eat only the purest of all.... and stay sick all the time.

Carry on. Follow em or dont. Pay attn to your body.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
Jhonny
Where is my hook

Jhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Pppffffttttt - nothing to see here.

Been lots of OLD folks have ignored those bans for decades. Healthy as ever in their old age.

Or the juice clense superfood types that eat only the purest of all.... and stay sick all the time.

Carry on. Follow em or dont. Pay attn to your body.

So what you saying is - not great, not terrible? He i had to put this reference in this context.

Anyway im not saying you will die immediately after fish consumption, im just saying in general its sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
bss1
Registered Users-pm+

bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Maybe I am not reading the info correctly, but your link to the TPW website just seems to recommend a reduced consumption of catfish from Galveston and adjacent bays:

Galveston Bay and all contiguous waters including Chocolate Bay, East Bay, Trinity Bay and West Bay
Chemicals of Concern: Dioxins and Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
For all species of catfish, adults should limit consumption to no more than one, 8-ounce meal per month.
Children, and women who are nursing, pregnant or who may become pregnant should not consume catfish from these waters.

Maybe the reference to other species is from a past advisory?
bss1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
Jhonny
Where is my hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bss1 View Post
Maybe I am not reading the info correctly, but your link to the TPW website just seems to recommend a reduced consumption of catfish from Galveston and adjacent bays:

Galveston Bay and all contiguous waters including Chocolate Bay, East Bay, Trinity Bay and West Bay
Chemicals of Concern: Dioxins and Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
For all species of catfish, adults should limit consumption to no more than one, 8-ounce meal per month.
Children, and women who are nursing, pregnant or who may become pregnant should not consume catfish from these waters.

Maybe the reference to other species is from a past advisory?
It mentions trout too and further explained in Q/A link inside

How much of Galveston Bay is affected by the Advisory?

The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) has issued an advisory recommending limited consumption of spotted seatrout (speckled trout) and all catfish species in Galveston Bay.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
Depending on the size of the fish, a guy fishing just once a week and keeping the new limit of 5 trout each trip can bring home enough to hit the recommended limit of trout for 20-50 people each month...

That's a kick in the nuts. Something to think about anyway.

And for those that say it's been like that forever and they live long and healthy lives, keep in mind that cancer stats are like the difference between a 1 in 50 of catching it, and 1 in 20. Sure, most people don't. But I'd feel pretty bad if one of my loved ones was the 1.

Besides, the way things work nowadays, if they cop to a small problem, there's probably a big honker right under the surface that they keep quiet about.
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
bss1
Registered Users-pm+

bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)bss1 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
HUh... well the date of the doc you referenced in the FAQ section is from July 2008, so I guess it is not new news if it is still applicable. The advisory section has the language I copy and pasted which just mentions catfish.
bss1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
Jhonny
Where is my hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bss1 View Post
HUh... well the date of the doc you referenced in the FAQ section is from July 2008, so I guess it is not new news if it is still applicable. The advisory section has the language I copy and pasted which just mentions catfish.
Ship channel report from 2019, galveston bay from 2013, here you can see individual documents signed and dated. Im sure harvey didnt help polution so i imagine it would be worse now in lower bays than in 2013 advisory

https://galvbay.org/how-we-protect-t...on-advisories/
Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
Some lady was taking core samples at matagorda harbor the other day. I have her card and we can get the Mercury content. She said offshore apex fish like kings ling aj have bee. 1ppm from what she has seen across the cleaning table. Doesn't bother me. Breathing that burning bay the other month for 3 days was deemed harmless lol OK.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
hurricane matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #10
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-w...are-misguided/

http://www.eatingwell.com/article/76...cury-toxicity/

Mercury in fish may not be anything to worry about, especially in saltwater fish. Selenium in saltwater fish typically counteracts and negates any risks from Mercury.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message