Can I Salvage This Rod - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
Can I Salvage This Rod

I was throwing some live bait the other day with one of the older Texas Tackle Factory Coastal Series rods when I noticed that my reel handle was not lining up with the eyes. The more I fished more play in the reel seat until the reel seat would actually almost spin on the rod. Has something just come loose that is fixable or is it toast?

I know duct tape is good for a lot of things but I don’t think I want to duct tape the handle to the rod.lol

Thanks for any help.
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
Big Bay
Registered Users-pm+

Big Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to Pirate
It’s cheaper to go to fishing tackle unlimited and get the same rod for 79$ and have a brand new rod with warranty than try and have someone fix it. It usually requires taking the whole handle off to reglue the reel seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
BFI-TX
Registered Users-pm+

BFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to PirateBFI-TX has been promoted to Pirate
Why not just re-align it and feed some super glue or thin epoxy to it???
BFI-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bay View Post
It’s cheaper to go to fishing tackle unlimited and get the same rod for 79$ and have a brand new rod with warranty than try and have someone fix it. It usually requires taking the whole handle off to reglue the reel seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I can figure out how to take the handle off, I am going to try to realign and glue.

Retirement is great and I can go fishing whenever I want. But not having a steady income and living off Social Security is a challenge. I’m learning, by necessity, to do things that I’ve never had to do before. And that’s not all bad.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
Whth

What I would do is drill several small holes in the real seat on the side that is covered by the reel. Be careful not to drill through the rod. Then mix some 5 minute epoxy and load it into a syringe. Then work the epoxy into the holes, get as much in there as possible. Work the seat around as you go. The make sure the seat is lined up and allow it to set until the epoxy is set. You can clean up any epoxy mess with a rage soaked in alcohal, just do it before it sets.
Popperdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
I had one like that and I drilled a small hole in the reel seat where it would be hidden by the reel foot, then put a little bit of 5 minute epoxy in the hole with a toothpick. Wriggled it a little to distribute the epoxy, and put in some more epoxy. Whole process took maybe 5 minutes and $0.50 worth of epoxy.

It's been good as new ever since. I'd have taken the reel seat off had it been feasible, but that wasn't happening without replacing a lot of cork.
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #7
SKIPJACKSLAYER
Registered Users-pm+

SKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to Pirate
Zip tie it tight if you just need a quick fix
SKIPJACKSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
If it's spinning on the rod, that means both the front and back halves of the seat are free to slide forward or backwards. Working one at a time, slide one toward the other as far as you can, clean up the rod underneath with some fine wet-dry sandpaper, let it dry and wipe it cleans with some isopropyl alcohol, let dry again, then apply a very light coating of epoxy adhesive. Re-seat that half of the seat. When it's set, do the other half. Should be good to go.
ReedA1691 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
In addition to what Reed said which is perfect, initially before cleaning it up.. take some measurements from the butt end you you can get it back in the right place.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedA1691 View Post
If it's spinning on the rod, that means both the front and back halves of the seat are free to slide forward or backwards. Working one at a time, slide one toward the other as far as you can, clean up the rod underneath with some fine wet-dry sandpaper, let it dry and wipe it cleans with some isopropyl alcohol, let dry again, then apply a very light coating of epoxy adhesive. Re-seat that half of the seat. When it's set, do the other half. Should be good to go.
Actually the reel seat and all the cork spins on the rod. I probably didn’t explain it too well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.