Old Ambassadeur 5000.... - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #21
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Unfortunately, they aren't really worth anything unless they are brand new in the box will all the original paperwork and the leather case. I'm somewhat of a collector and probably have over 100 Ambassadeur's, and probably 2 dozen just like yours. I won't give more than $5 or $10 for them, and most times people just give them to me.
sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #22
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Old Ambassadeur 5000....

Looking closer at the pictures, I see a few interesting things.

There appears to be an oil lubrication port hole on the nut that secures the crank handle. There is also a port hole on the spool tensioner on the LH side. The later models do not have these ports.

On the LH side below the spool tensioner, I see stamped letters that say, “A.B. URFABRIKEN”. Also, the stamped letters that follow, “SVANGSTA” is the city in Sweden where A.B. URFABRIKEN company was started. I’ve never seen one with this stamped on it.

Here’s a bit of info that I found http://www.abugarcia.com/AbuGarcia-our-history.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #23
Bird
No fish in West Bay

Bird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to PirateBird has been promoted to Pirate
Chris at Serious Tackle in LaMarque is an expert on those reels and has the parts to repair/rebuild them. I had him service and repair all of my Dad's old Abu's a few years back. Based on my Dad's reels, I'd say late 50's or early 60's
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #24
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
I have a dozen or so of those original Garcia's with the leather case.

The case has a clear plastic bottle that has extra bearings, drag washers, etc, they are easy reels to service / work on.

I've been using them for over 30 years, still to this day, work like a champ for bay and light offshore work

Relentless
TXFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #25
Northern fisherman
Registered Users-pm+

Northern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to PirateNorthern fisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Great post! After reading all of the research I decided to look up an old 5000A I got from my Dad that he fished with as long as I can remember. Coincidentally the reel was made same month and year I was born. 741203 year,month,then third run. I just thought that was truly amazing. Furthermore we also have an old evinrude 9.9 that was made in 1974. I guess 74 was a good year for him, Lol. Thanks for sharing again.
Northern fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message