Supercharging live bait with oxygen in July - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-25-2019, 06:33 AM   #1
JJohnson34
Registered Users-pm+

JJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Supercharging live bait with oxygen in July

The summer pattern is on now.
Many live bait fishermen today know now that pure 100% oxygen definitely keep croakers, shad, shrimp and hard tails alive and healthier longer in summer live wells far better than aerators, water pumps and bait saver chemicals, but does any live baiter here actually know how that pure oxygen supercharges those live baits?

How do you think pure oxygen supercharges live bait and makes bait so abnormally active and strong?

Like those pro football players breathing pure oxygen on the bench?
JJohnson34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
How is a rainbow made?
How does a sun set?
How does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work?
It just does.
sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
It's been a long time since I've worried about keeping bait alive, and some of what people are doing now wasn't common or even available the last time I did, so I am definitely not an expert on new stuff, BUT....

As much as super-charging oxygen (not sure it really works as advertised) may help, unless the water you're pulling from to supply your live well is just oxygen depleted (red tide water or back-lake water), I don't see how the water they were raised in isn't good enough to make them healthy. Most of our bay waters have plenty of oxygen.

The things I know to kill live bait are high temperatures and heavy agitation. Reduce the temperature. For shrimp in a live well that blasts water and washes them around in circles, you are working them to death. There are things made to give them something to grab onto, or you can just put some burlap in the live well.

Furthermore, if the bait you buy from a bait camp is beat up, oxygen starved or just been in their tank too long, I doubt anything you do is going to revive them enough to make them jump out of your hand like if you just scooped them out of the bay.

Of course what do I know? I'm not a croaker soaking guide....
ReedA1691 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
JJohnson34
Registered Users-pm+

JJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJJohnson34 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedA1691 View Post
...super-charging oxygen (not sure it really works as advertised)...

Where is this advertised, I would like to see that. Is this fishing guide bro science at the boat ramp or the real deal. I have seen bait literally become darker in color in oxygenated livewell water.
Where's that guy that called himself the texxan that claimed to be the Oww2 guru know so much about this stuff?
Old 07-27-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
fish4food
Registered Users-pm+

fish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
How is a rainbow made?
How does a sun set?
How does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work?
It just does.
Haha

I don’t understand it, nor do I care to. It does and that’s good enough for me.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
hunterjck
Registered Users-pm+

hunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Piratehunterjck has been promoted to Pirate
Oxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson34 View Post
The summer pattern is on now.
Many live bait fishermen today know now that pure 100% oxygen definitely keep croakers, shad, shrimp and hard tails alive and healthier longer in summer live wells far better than aerators, water pumps and bait saver chemicals, but does any live baiter here actually know how that pure oxygen supercharges those live baits?

How do you think pure oxygen supercharges live bait and makes bait so abnormally active and strong?

Like those pro football players breathing pure oxygen on the bench?
They say what you need to do is change the water often ‘cause the live bait throws off ammonia that kills them. A bubbler and fresh water will do the trick.
hunterjck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
JJohnson34
Registered Users-pm+

Why would die-hards that only use plastic baits, never soak croakers or live shrimp promote and advocate livewell air bubblers and water exchanges or even take time and waste time to read this post... mush less respond to a post like this when they know absolutely nothing about supercharging live bait with pure O2 and have very negative opinions of the efficacy of using pure O2 for supercharging croakers in the summer?

Funny that all the people that are actually selling, promoting and actually using these O2 rigs around Galveston/Corpus will not, cannot answer and have no clue to such a simple question... here's the question again, let's refocus and get the post back on track now.

The question and point of this thread: "How do you think pure oxygen supercharges live bait and makes bait so abnormally active and strong?"

Let's focus now on this 1 simple questions, please respond if you have any knowledge of how supercharging really works or if you have something of value to offer to this subject.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
sharkchum
Banned

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson34 View Post
Why would die-hards that only use plastic baits, never soak croakers or live shrimp promote and advocate livewell air bubblers and water exchanges or even take time and waste time to read this post... mush less respond to a post like this when they know absolutely nothing about supercharging live bait with pure O2 and have very negative opinions of the efficacy of using pure O2 for supercharging croakers in the summer?

Funny that all the people that are actually selling, promoting and actually using these O2 rigs around Galveston/Corpus will not, cannot answer and have no clue to such a simple question... here's the question again, let's refocus and get the post back on track now.

The question and point of this thread: "How do you think pure oxygen supercharges live bait and makes bait so abnormally active and strong?"

Let's focus now on this 1 simple questions, please respond if you have any knowledge of how supercharging really works or if you have something of value to offer to this subject.
If you really want the scientific answer I'll tell you.
The air we breath only has around 21% available oxygen and sea water only less then 1%. A regular aeration system on most live wells can only bring the oxygen levels in the water up to 21% because that's all the available oxygen in the air.
A fish uses a large percentage of it's energy just to breath because of the low oxygen levels in water. When you add more oxygen to the water, the fish use less energy to breath.
When you add pure oxygen to the water, it creates high blood-oxygen levels in the fish, which causes the fishes body to produce "adrenaline", hence the name Supercharged".
sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
mbj358
Registered Users-pm+

mbj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Pirate
O2

I have been using O2 for about 3 years now. I don't know about super-charging but my experience has been very positive. I do know you can stress croaker with too much oxygen or too little. I experienced clean water early on in this process on an advised O2 setting for bait. I thought I needed to increase the level for additional bait and I did so. Then I realized my water was foaming and getting dirty. I then read somewhere that bait can stress due to too much O2. I then went back to the original setting and my water stayed clean.
I had 8 dozen croaker in 20 gallons of water this past weekend. I got this bait on Friday afternoon and finished the bait around 11AM yesterday. I had very few bait die in my bait tub. The water was never changed out and was as clean as it was when I put it in my tub.
O2 is the best way to go in my opinion.
mbj358 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
mbj358
Registered Users-pm+

mbj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Piratembj358 has been promoted to Pirate
O2

Also my bait was just as active yesterday as it was when I picked it up on Friday. Changing the water out is always a good idea if you can but I don't always do so.
mbj358 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message