Sea Striker Gotcha Lures - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #1
Festivus
Registered Users-pm+

Festivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Sea Striker Gotcha Lures

I'm trying to thin out my lures and tackle. Before I made my first trip down to the gulf I watched some videos by some Texas gulf coast anglers on what tackle and lures they used, a few of them highly recommended the gotcha plugs. I found some on sale. Gave some to my brother who lives in Houston to try out and he hasn't caught anything on them yet. Admittedly he's a live shrimp, cut bait fisherman who doesn't really have the patience to throw a plug for hours.

Anyone have success on these? Should I just move them along? I would definitely keep them if they at least had a rattle but they're silent and seem to be more of a clear water lure. Seems like most people swear by them from off the piers when the Spanish Macks are running and/or when the water is relatively clean. Some swear they can tear up the trout on them too. I don't want to waste my time throwing a plug I should have just left at home, especially one that weighs around an ounce and will wear me out.
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Festivus
Registered Users-pm+

Festivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I guess no one uses these lures. Haha
Old 08-18-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
1fisher77316
Registered Users-pm+

1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate
The "Gotcha Lures" work well at the jetties and gulf piers for Spanish mackerel. In Florida I have seen trout caught in the larger deep harbors on a gotcha when it was unseasonably cold. Here in Texas I've never seen then thrown for trout. That being said at Rollover Pass they throw those "Blade baits" in the heavy current and catch both trout and reds. I don't see why they wouldn't work there for sure.
Tight lines!
1fisher77316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
We use them more for chickens offshore.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
I'm sure in the right condition they'll catch a few. Anything will catch a few and they should cast well. The real deal is putting it in front of fish / in fish. After that a variety of things will work. Probably too heavy for using over oyster in the bay.. a Mirrolure 52 M would have a similar action without the risk of loosing it to the oyster.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
It's a good lure for spanish mackeral. I wouldn't say it is better than a regular spoon though. They just cast well and are very durable. For trout use something else.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
SoTxPighunter
Registered Users-pm+

SoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSoTxPighunter has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I used them a lot when I was stationed in North Carolina, the key is color with them and they will catch you smacks bluefish jacks and trout along with the occasional redfish. I like silver w red head gold n red white and red white w green spec and red head. I try and keep them in my box at all times. Also instead of your rod tip up invert your rod if your on the piers and use a lift drop pattern on retrieving and work it fast!
Good luck!
STP
SoTxPighunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #8
Festivus
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxPighunter View Post
I used them a lot when I was stationed in North Carolina, the key is color with them and they will catch you smacks bluefish jacks and trout along with the occasional redfish. I like silver w red head gold n red white and red white w green spec and red head. I try and keep them in my box at all times. Also instead of your rod tip up invert your rod if your on the piers and use a lift drop pattern on retrieving and work it fast!
Good luck!
STP
Like I'm jigging up and down and reeling in at the same time? What about those clear body ones with the shiny mylar inserts? I'm going to only keep a few as the few times we tried them we didn't catch anything, but we were on the jetty and not the pier and probably didn't work them fast enough. I just with they had a rattle.