Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
slug327
Registered Users-pm+

slug327 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Flag Best place for Beginner and Wife

I am new to saltwater boating, and wife is new to boating in general. We have a 21' RFl with TRP.

I am torn between going to Port Aransas or POC. I have been to POC with a buddy, and it was fun. But, not sure the wife will like it. What would be a good restaurant to go to? Any good site seeing opportunities?

I read in another post that Port A seemed pretty hectic past couple days and I am worried it would be worse come the weekend. Especially with everyone trying to get last minute trips in before school kicks off.

Basically doing a scout to where ever we go. We have a 1 year old and 9 year old we will bring along next time.

Thanks for any and all help!

V/R

Trevor
slug327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Aggieangler
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)

Aggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to Pirate
If your wife wants non-fishing things to do, I would suggest Rockport or Port A. You could also try the area around Corpus. POC doesn't have a lot of things for non-fishermen to do very long. With the young kiddos, I would think the beach in Port A would be a hit. I know guys that take their wives to POC with them, but most of those wives love to fish as much as the hubbies. If your wife is like that, then maybe POC is better.
Aggieangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
slug327
Registered Users-pm+

slug327 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggieangler View Post
If your wife wants non-fishing things to do, I would suggest Rockport or Port A. You could also try the area around Corpus. POC doesn't have a lot of things for non-fishermen to do very long. With the young kiddos, I would think the beach in Port A would be a hit. I know guys that take their wives to POC with them, but most of those wives love to fish as much as the hubbies. If your wife is like that, then maybe POC is better.

Thanks!! I'm also open to anywhere else to go. Those were just the two places that I hear a lot of. And actually fish POC. As for the beach in port A, I can't drive my boat up to it, can I?
slug327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
justletmein
Just call me JJ

justletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Piratejustletmein has been promoted to Pirate
What's the main activities you plan or hope to do? Morning on the water and off mid-day to do non-fishing things and stay at a nice hotel? There's not a lot of hotel options in POC.

If you're worried about hectic I'm not sure I'd recommend POC on a weekend. As for the restaurant we frequent Cathy's when we have time and aren't running back and forth or coming through late.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Yeah I'd stick with Rockport and Port A. If you can swing a rental or hotel on the island that would be best for the lady's. Last weekend wasn't horrible in Port A, certainly less people than earlier in the summer.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #6
Spinky
Registered Users-pm+

Spinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to PirateSpinky has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
Yeah I'd stick with Rockport and Port A. If you can swing a rental or hotel on the island that would be best for the lady's. Last weekend wasn't horrible in Port A, certainly less people than earlier in the summer.

Yep. Things start to settle down there this time of year after school starts. If you can hold off until after Labor Day, it gets way better. Hotel rates go down, lots of fishermen shift to dove hunting and the crowds thin out in town and on the water.
As, far as the wife and kids finding more to do there or at POC, no contest!
Have fun...
Spinky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
To me Port Aransas is very crowded this time of year. My wife and I really love Rockport. It has really come back from the hurricane and has lots to do. If you want to spend a day in Port Aransas, it’s only a short drive and doesn’t take long to get there depending on the wait at the ferry.

There are lots of good places to stay. We generally went to VRBO and found a place with a place to dock a boat and lights to fish under at night. We have stayed in places in Bahia Bay and City by the Sea many times. Easy access to Estes Flats and other fishing spots.

Like others have said crowds and rates go down after Labor Day as a rule.
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message