Custom Rods in TX - Page 4 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #31
pg542
Texas Rod Builders

pg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Piratepg542 has been promoted to Pirate
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Marsh Rat Rods in Alvin Tx

Drifter
I pretty much build my own but I have seen up close Marsh Rat's work. If I were looking for a local builder, I'd sure give him him a good hard look. I think his name is Tyler or something like that. Top notch fit, finish and balance. Feels good in the hand.
pg542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #32
N2Deep
Registered Users-pm+

N2Deep is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
For the fly rods, Capt. Steve Stubbe, Mudfish Adventures makes custom Salt and Fresh fly rods. Can reach him at 844-683-3474 or mudfishadventures.com; and he has a Facebook page as well. Awesome rods and and awesome guide as well.
N2Deep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #33
poledup1
Registered Users-pm+

poledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerpoledup1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Sarge

Sarge by a long shot! call him and you will see why.....
poledup1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #34
doyou
i fish

doyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Pirate
i will add to the sarge train
doyou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #35
Marker 54 Lures
Registered Users-pm+

Marker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to Pirate
i have never understood the custom rod concept .. if the rod blank, reel seat, guides , guide glue, etc are all purchased retail .. then what specifically makes it "custom" the color of the thread? 90% of rods made use Baston Blanks .. what is custom about different thread colors ?

that's always felt like saying bolting on parts to a harley .. makes its a custom bike.
Marker 54 Lures is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #36
doyou
i fish

doyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker 54 Lures View Post
i have never understood the custom rod concept .. if the rod blank, reel seat, guides , guide glue, etc are all purchased retail .. then what specifically makes it "custom" the color of the thread? 90% of rods made use Baston Blanks .. what is custom about different thread colors ?

that's always felt like saying bolting on parts to a harley .. makes its a custom bike.

but dont people call it a custom bike at that point ? same with custom corvette, custom haynie etc etc
doyou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #37
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker 54 Lures View Post

I think the point is to have it built the way you want it, look and components.

At least to me, there is no way to get a blank made for you (at least I don't think so) but you can pick up everything you want and have it made for you. Vs going to academy and buying an off the shelf rod.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #38
Bob Johanson
Registered Users-pm+

Bob Johanson is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
American Pride! They are new in the game and are very good rods. I can gice you my guys number
Bob Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #39
robhunt
Registered Users-pm+

robhunt is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Custom rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
I am looking for a few names of some really good custom rod builders. Need Bait Caster, Spinning and fly fishing rods.

and go!
You might check out Old 18 Outfitters. Website is www.old18.com

I has some spinning rods built there recently and they are first class. 6 rods cost about $285 and I supplied the blanks.
robhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #40
SaltwaterSlick
Registered Users-pm+

SaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to Pirate
I've used Big Bay on here to build some very fine rods for me... And yes, most components are standard parts, but it is not as simple as just glue and wrappings... The components are many and widely varied and it takes skill to pick components that fit together and accomplish what you're looking for. Grant has done a fantastic job of doing that for me. My needs were very specific and he's local... When I first started my initial project if what I wanted, I too contacted Billy Stix, but was not happy with his communications and never got any real answers as to what I was looking for... Plus, he's in Florida and not local... That in itself made communication difficult. I wanted to see some examples of work, and Grant being local (actually now is at FTU on Katy Fwy, but rod building is not associated with FTU in any way) he's easy to contact and work with face to face if need be.

He's just one of the very good local folks that are on this forum, but Big Bay is a very good example and one I can highly recommend.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message