Let's Talk About The .375 H&H - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Firearms/Reloading/Handloading Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
Charles Helm
Registered Users-pm+

Charles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to Pirate
I have one on a CZ but it is on the heavy side for a .375. Have another on a Mark X commercial Mauser that is lighter. That one spent some time at the gunsmith for a rework last year.

CZ 550 reworked by American Hunting Rifles:

Mark X as purchased used:

Version 2.0, changed out the safety and dropped it into a McMillan stock, well the gunsmith did:

Now Version 3.0 after the spa treatment by American Hunting Rifles, changed just about everything:

I like the .375 but have used a .458 a bit more.

For deer and hogs I think the non-premium Remington 270-grain loads work just fine (And yes, that is a bandage on my forehead -- don't crawl the stock when shooting prone! Can't believe that was ten years ago.).

Charles Helm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #12
Trouthunter
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate

Trouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to Pirate
Charles the Mark X is what I bought. It's as it was when it was sold new and I really like the rifle.

I'm going to play with it a while and if I decide to keep it I would want to do what you did with the 3rd revision of yours. "Now Version 3.0 after the spa treatment by American Hunting Rifles, changed just about everything"

I like that.

Anyway I love the way the rifle shoots and it's very accurate and it's getting used some.

Thanks guys.

TH
Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #13
Charles Helm
Registered Users-pm+

Charles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to PirateCharles Helm has been promoted to Pirate
The nice thing about the Mark X is that you can get a lighter rifle all-in than with the CZ. Much easier to carry around.

In the end, I got a barrel band swivel base (not included with the Alaskan version), a three-position Model 70-style safety, single standing rear leaf sight and front sight with flip-up night sight and folding hood. Coated the metal with something that should stand up to being carried a bit better than the original bluing.

Cut the barrel down a bit as I find it handier, although you lose a some muzzle velocity.

I had picked up a take-off stock to use but it ended up not being suitable, so I went with the restock with metal grip cap and red Decelerator pad.

Now I need to convince AHR to do another for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #14
sylvan
Registered Users-pm+

sylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Piratesylvan has been promoted to Pirate
If you handload the 375 you will find that it can be extremely accurate.
I have a friend that shoots one competitively. He gets lots of laughs until the groups are measured.
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #15
mrsh978
Play Deep

mrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Pirate
Agreed. They are big footballs that stabilize well. My 416 shoots a cloverleaf with a 400 gr Barnes X @ 100 yds
mrsh978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #16
mrsh978
Play Deep

mrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Pirate
Here's what and where 400 grains arrive at on paper
Attached Images

mrsh978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
Trouthunter
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate

Trouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to Pirate
Interesting Charles...but I like the barrel length on this one as is.

I might buy some dies and start playing with it but right now I don't shoot it enough to justify it.

If I decide to keep it I'll sure reload for it.

Nice hole there mrsh978
Old 12-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #18
Cynoscion
El Cazador de Venados Gigantes

Cynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to PirateCynoscion has been promoted to Pirate
Just thought I’d resurrect this thread. I’ve had my eyes open looking for a nice Interarms Whitworth or CZ 550 in .375 H&H. I wasn’t in any real hurry and knew that I’d know it was right when I found it. Well here it is. It started life as a Whitworth express rifle in .375 H&H. The gentleman I bought it from sent it off to H and H custom rifles and they Ackley Improved it, restocked it, added the break and the fiber optic front sight. It’s basically everything I wanted this rifle to be except the brake. I will most likely cut it off and have it recrowned or at the very least, have a thread protector built for it. I like the quick detach Talley rings and bases and the 2-7x33 Leupold as well. I got about 35 loaded rounds of Improved ammo with it and will do some testing to compare these versus standard .375. I guess now, I have to go back to Africa!
I forgot to mention the action was smooth Ed up and a new trigger added as well. It was gone over and reworked very well. I’ll try to remember to update this as I start playing with it and carrying it as my back up nilgai rifle.
Attached Images

Cynoscion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #19
Charles Helm
Registered Users-pm+

Congratulations! Nice rifle. A lot of them seem to shoot very well.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #20
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Did a full safari with double rifles. Shot a grants gazelle with 375 H&H double rifle. Then shot a zebra and cape buffalo with 450 NE double rifle. That 375 is a sweet shooter for sure. And an absolute treat compared to the 450 hahhahaa...
sgrem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message