Aquarium Question??? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB > TTMB
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #11
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Aquarium Question???

Hopefully it wasn’t live rock. Rinsing live rock is taking a step backward. You buy live rock for all of the stuff on it and in it. The only unwanted things I got in live rock were fire worms.

Suggest maintaining a daily logbook or spreadsheet while you’re cycling in the tank. Test and record the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, PH, and water temp. Keep the logbook and log the date and time of all of your tests, along with recording each livestock addition, death, disappearance, addition of new piece of equipment, etc. The logbook allows you to detect issues when readings shift and start spiking unexpectedly.

The aquarium hobby is fun. I used to spend hours gazing and marveling at the microcosm of the sea that I had. It was like the Discovery channel live in my living rooom.

Those are nice looking tanks above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
habanerojooz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 11:47 PM   #12
Brian Castille
Texas Aggie Fisherman

Brian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to PirateBrian Castille has been promoted to Pirate
I've had a 100 gallon freshwater aquarium for 16 years. The first thing I learned is you need to add salt to a freshwater aquarium or the fish will die. Been there, done that. I have only stocked fish from local ponds and had some die before I figured it out so at least it wasn't a monetary loss. For rocks, I went to Home Depot and bought a couple bags of the crushed limestone. It was a mess but I kept working at it and after a few weeks was able to get it cleaned via filer / siphon. A good filter and siphon vacuum are a must for sure. Also, put lights on a timer so they aren't on all the time. More light usually means more algae. I have lights that can be switched from blue to white. Blue keeps algae down to a minimum. In my opinion the perfect aquarium fish is the Texas Cichlid (Rio Grande Perch). They are easy to find out in the Houston area waters. Hopefully doing water changes and a good filter will help get the cloudiness out of there. This is an old video, but here is my setup:

Brian Castille is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 12:53 AM   #13
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
Go talk to Dennis at Fish Just Wonderful. You can dip live rock or get wrasse to eat them... Dennis is good to chat up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
hurricane matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
sabotage
"You caught it, you get it off!"

sabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateersabotage has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Thanks again fella's! We decided to hold off and do some more research. He has 3 young boys, so it's a learning lesson for them as well. Mostly to do it right the first time and take responsibility. Them boy's love fishing and everything that swims in the water. except jellyfish, they're not super stoked about those…..
sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #15
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
Good call.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #16
Yak a Tak
Registered Users-pm+

Yak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to PirateYak a Tak has been promoted to Pirate
I had a couple of peacock bass in the 400g that got to about a pound. Aggressive and fun to watch, but they grow quickly and start eating expensive fish.
Yak a Tak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #17
steve holchak
Fish Doctor

steve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Piratesteve holchak has been promoted to Pirate
Give it time it will clear up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
steve holchak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 10:39 PM   #18
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

What's your sump/refugium setup like? Did you mix your own saltwater and RO water? Run it 6 weeks before adding any fish.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #19
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Aquarium Question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane matt View Post
What's your sump/refugium setup like? Did you mix your own saltwater and RO water? Run it 6 weeks before adding any fish.

The fish in the pictures above look like African Cichlids. Those are freshwater tanks.

When I was speaking of not rinsing ‘live’ rock, I was speaking of ‘live’ rocks purchased from a fish store that were literally dug out of the ocean. You don’t rinse those ‘live’ rocks as that is counterproductive to why you bought them in the first place.

But based on what I’ve seen written, I’m led to believe the OP was starting a freshwater tank, not saltwater.

Saltwater and freshwater tanks have some similarities but they are mostly different. Different maintenance, different livestock, different costs, different sets of considerations. All of my aquarium experience is in saltwater tanks and saltwater creatures.

Last edited by habanerojooz; 08-02-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:11 AM   #20
habanerojooz
Who said that was spicy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak a Tak View Post
I had a couple of peacock bass in the 400g that got to about a pound. Aggressive and fun to watch, but they grow quickly and start eating expensive fish.

I had a baby panther grouper that did the same thing, it got bigger quickly and then it ate one of the other fish. Pretty obvious when you look at them everyday and you notice one missing, there is no suicide on the room floor, and the grouper has a belly bump.