School me on Tunnel V boats - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #11
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
You can trim it out to dip the bow down when turning to act as a planer a little bit. Spun out once coming in from Bastrop bay and making that right into the icw around that shallow point. Scared the **** out of me. Never happened again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
hurricane matt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 11:47 PM   #12
Rockfish2
Registered Users-pm+

Rockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2waterlogged View Post
They can be great or horrible.

I would read this and watch (or just scroll to the video) the video at the end. It the testing of that type of Hull with different speeds and weight/weight distribution. It will give you a great idea of when to be careful and what not to do.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/tro...M2VKOXVzVGlJcw..
I’d like to see the test done with the motor at various trim levels to see if angling the bow upwards a bit could improve performance in the problematic hard turns. It would seem to me that if you could diminish the ability of the bow to “catch” in the turn you might be able to eliminate the swapping or at least make it less severe or give the driver the ability to feel it coming on easier. Of course, if you’re powering through turns in 18” of water you don’t want to have your bow in the air...
Rockfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2020, 04:18 AM   #13
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Trimming up exacerbates the problem.

It is very very easy to avoid.
And not really very easy to make it happen even if you know how.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
Rockfish2
Registered Users-pm+

Rockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to Pirate
Interesting, I would’ve guessed the opposite might happen, other than the fact that the prop/skeg would be a little higher and might not hold the stern as much. I agree with you that it’s not easy to do, but if someone didn’t have any experience with boats they could watch that video and be very bothered. They wouldn’t understand all of the other factors that go into how a boat handles in real-world conditions, many of which are under your control.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #15
Rockfish2
Registered Users-pm+

And this reminds me the only time I’ve ever spun mine was trying to get up shallow to get going - I had the trim tabs maxed and the jackplate probably up a bit too high and when I gunned the engine the boat popped up and the back end spun around as I had the wheel turned to get up and out and not enough prop in the water. The bow caught and I spun a bit, but that scenario was low threat and easy to fix.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #16
KeithR
Registered Users-pm+

KeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to PirateKeithR has been promoted to Pirate
My opinion as I owned a tunnel v for nine years. Tunnel V’s are inefficient hull designs and I think you give up too much performance for what you gain in shallow water capabilities. If you like the hull design I think a better choice is a pocket tunnel such as a JH B240. Handles better and runs almost as shallow. If running shallow is the goal buy a cat hull. Their are several good ones to choose from
KeithR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2020, 10:11 PM   #17
WineyFishrman
Try being smarter and I'll be much nicer

WineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to PirateWineyFishrman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stickers View Post
I'm in the market to buy another boat & have been looking at some of the Explorer Tunnel V boats as sthere seems to be quite a few for sale at good prices. I have heard all the wicked stories about these boats having a mind of their own & spinning out of control at will. Anyone with experience with these boats please chime in & let me know the truth, good or bad.

tight lines,
Stickers
I have a 23 Explorer TV.....

Cuts chop and rough water, runs shallow .

Like all boats you just need to understand the characteristics of any boat to know how to run it efficiently and safely.

I've never spun out or even felt it slipping,,, but I'm careful... you can't do a hard over on the wheel on any deep rake bow boat, they will dig in and with shallow stern you don't have enough on the water to dig or hold if you can understand that....it's basic physics.

Never hard turn, and if running crossing waves I use the trim tabs to keep it straight and true, motor tucked and set.

Like anything,,, if you push anything beyond its limits or design,,,, things happen.

Kill switch, life jackets while under the way and be safe,,, I love my Explorer and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone.
WineyFishrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2020, 10:45 PM   #18
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
My opinion as I owned a tunnel v for nine years. Tunnel V’s are inefficient hull designs and I think you give up too much performance for what you gain in shallow water capabilities. If you like the hull design I think a better choice is a pocket tunnel such as a JH B240. Handles better and runs almost as shallow. If running shallow is the goal buy a cat hull. Their are several good ones to choose from
100% agree. They are slow and they give up fishing space with the pointy bow. If you want to go that route I'd really tell you to at the very least consider like a Tran Sport or a Gulfcoast. They offer more fishing space with similar draft and speed yet don't have quite the tendency to spin out.

A cat hull will do better all the way around. That is why there are tons of cat hulls and you don't see many tunnel vs being built now.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #19
Davidsel47
Registered Users-pm+

Davidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to PirateDavidsel47 has been promoted to Pirate
My 1st boat was a Tunnel V Blue Wave, glad this never happened to me.
Davidsel47 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2020, 11:28 PM   #20
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I greatly prefer a tunnel V to a cat for the versatility of places I fish.

I run a 26ft Southshore in back marshes....runs in about 7" of water. Floats in 10". We run to our duck hunt areas out of it....have had 12 buddies in full duck gear in this boat.

Or trolling motor down shoreline cover for redfish or bass fishing. Very large front deck plenty of room.

Tabs down and cross the big open bay or run 40 miles offshore.

Now admittedly that 26ft Southshore is huge compared to many tunnel Vs. Yes they have a slow top speed but still cruising at 30-35 mph is plenty fast most days. Eating up big water with choppy Texas winds you cant run fast anyway.

My back lakes exploring and duck hunting keeps me in a Tunnel V vs not.... as well as crossing and fishing in areas too big for a cat boat.

Last edited by sgrem; 08-02-2020 at 11:34 PM.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message