Tree Saddle Vs. Hang On Stand - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Bow Hunting Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
SandSquatch
Registered Users-pm+

SandSquatch is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Tree Saddle Vs. Hang On Stand

I’m looking to start some public land deer hunting this year, and I want a good run and gun set up.

I’ve been looking at Tethrd saddles and Lone Wolf stands. If anyone has experience, preferences, or other suggestions, please share.

I will be hunting East Texas National Forests and WMAs, I understand I have a lot of of hard work ahead of me, and I would appreciate any advice.
SandSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Lighter and simpler is better. I had great luck with Lone Wolf lightweight hang on stands with strap on steps and Summit Razor climbers. Used the climbers the most. I could take down and pack up silently in about 5 minutes max and reset. I usually hunted an evening, the next morning, then reset midday. Never more than twice in one spot. Scent control and enter/exit routes are most important.

Here are my three best public land bow kills.
Attached Images

sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
SandSquatch
Registered Users-pm+

Those are some awesome deer, thank you for the input. Did you have any trouble finding suitable trees for the climber on public land? I have only hunted a climber a few times on groomed trees on private land.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Depends on where you are hunting. Some places I used a 6ft aluminum tripod on my shoulder. Some used that hang on. And some i used that climber. I ended up hunting climber type areas most often. Tripod areas second. Just the areas I liked hunting the most.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
SandSquatch
Registered Users-pm+

Hope I’m not bugging you with all the questions, thanks again.

Do you like the climber itself, or the areas it suits better? What are the differences in the areas you’d use a climber compared to a hang on, other than straighter trees obviously?
Old 08-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #6
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Climber allowed me to get higher faster, easier, and felt safer although I always stayed slow, methodical, and safe with a climbing harness and self recovery gear no matter what kind of hunting I was doing.

I like to find a giant tree on edge of somewhere I can see a long long way and use that to scout. See where animals are crossing. Then get tighter and tighter and adjust to the buck I am after.... or setup on a meat lane and lay em out.

Those two bigger bucks on the left I hunted every weekend of deer season for 4 years.... first day i saw them was the day i shot them. I knew they were there but never actually saw those bucks until i drew back on them. Most dont have the wherewithal to hunt that way on public lands. Results speak for themselves.....
Old 08-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #7
SandSquatch
Registered Users-pm+

That’s some serious patience and dedication! I like your strategy. That makes sense why you went with the climber rather than being limited to the amount of climbing sticks you could carry.

Have you or anyone you know used climbing spurs and a lineman belt? Seems like that’d give you similar freedom with your stand height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #8
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

Never known anyone to do that for hunting. I dont see the need.

With a 6ft tripod you can hike in a long long way, a 13ft portable tripod you can hike in a reasonable way, lightweight hang on with strap on steps, and a nice climber you should be able to hunt successfully anywhere. Go enjoy....

Got the talking part done... nothing else to figure out.... go do it and spend the time scouting and learning how to not bump the animals. More gear just muddies the waters. Take whatever you can fit in your pockets and the stand on your back. That's it.