2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Cedar Bayou

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  JoeintheBackyard 
#1 ·
I have not been to Cedar Bayou in a few years. Right after it dredged and opened we used to take boat, staying on left side close to back opening. We parked boat and walked to surf. Can this still be done? Is Cedar Bayou open or closed?

#2 ·
Cedar Bayou has been silted in since Harvey. You can still run in the cut and walk to the surf, but the area a little before the stop sign is partially silted in and shallower than before. You may want to idle in the last 300 yards.

At the Rockport CCA meeting last week John Blaha said Aransas County and others are working on permitting and funding to reopen the cut. He said they hope to start dredging and digging next April.🤞

#5 ·
It's not a waste of time or money, if you see the positive effect it has (had) on the area bays when it is open, and the negative impact of having it closed. I'm not going to throw out fodder for more fighting around here, but these bays have been steadily suffering since Cedar closed up. I can't conclusively prove cause/effect, but the timing is more than coincidence in my opinion.

They have already started dredging for the new deep water channel that will be connecting the Pot of Corpus Christi to the Port A jetties. With the effect that will have on hydrodynamics in the whole area, I am afraid that the bays between POC and Port A will have to have some Gulf access to remain healthy, and Cedar is the only logical place.

Personally I think it would be foolish not to spend the money to re-open it and keep it open. The money needed is a drop in the bucket of cash they are dumping on that VLCC project. The cost of killing bays is astronomical. (Yes, I know it won't be all the way "dead". But if a bay can't support the commercial and recreational pressure it gets, it's functionally dead.)

Contrary to what people say, Cedar wasn't done in by Harvey. Harvey may have put the last nail in the coffin, but it was down to a trickle before the storm. It was doomed to close up soon anyway. When it is re-opened, they either need to commit to building a structure to keep it open, or commit to doing "maintenance" dredging on a more regular basis. This business of going back for permits, like it's a separate new project won't cut it.

#9 ·
I believe my post was taken out of context or my meaning. Yes I agree the positive effects of each opening has done for the bays surrounding Cedar Bayou, but what I'm trying to get across is to make a permanent fix, if possible. I think you would agree that more time, money, and effort spent once is better than temporary fixes that require reinvestment every time it silts in.

#14 ·
I wasn't trying to bash you for what you said, no matter how you meant it. It would be pretty logical to think that the project is a waste of time and money, especially if you don't live down here. Cedar Bayou has opened and closed on its own numerous times, that we know about. So spending money to fight something that nature doesn't want (right now) seems sort of ridiculous. All of us need to pay attention when we see our tax dollars being thrown away, and in this case "let nature take its course" seems like a smarter thing to do, on the surface.

The problem is, we haven't let nature take its course, and there are consequences to these massive coastal engineering projects. Opening Cedar Bayou and keeping it open was sort of iffy to me all along. I knew it would have a positive impact on the bays, but I honestly didn't know what unintended consequences it might have. We saw the positives, and didn't have time to find out of there would be any negatives. But now we've seen some definite negatives from it closing back up. And with this project in Corpus/Port A, I don't think it's optional anymore.

No offense intended. My opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it anyway.

I know it's wishful thinking but the cost for items such as dredging Cedar Bayou and other cuts for environmental maintenance should be part of the agreements when approvals to deepen or dredge new canals and ship channels. If you look at all the damage the ICW and ship channels have dome to the bays it is depressing. I know we can't go back in time but we know the new channels made for economics change the hydraulics of the bays. This should not just be part of the initial evaluation but funding provide for mitigation for the future.
I agree with that 100%. But it's so complicated, and there are so many factors at play, I don't know how we would ever pin them down on cause and effect to force that. You can get a "scientific" study that will show whatever you want it to show, and they can back it up with data, and formulae, and graphs. And a study is cheaper than actually building a rock groin or jetty.

This is why I rant from time to time about TPWD and others "partnering" with outside interests. But deep down I know I'm just howling at the moon. When there is money on the line, everything else takes a back seat. But you young guys take note: I told you that Cedar was going to close up (as did many others), and argued with the experts and studies about it. And I'm telling you that if we don't get it opened back up now, these orphaned bays in between POC and Port A are going to decline - maybe even to disastrous levels. Water quality is vital, and I am really, really worried about our oyster stocks, just to name one thing.

#10 ·
I truly enjoyed CB when it was open, and I like so many others saw the benefits of CB being opened s a positive effect to the surrounding bay systems. I agree with others that I would like to see a more permanent fix for this cut to stay open, and am concerned that the deepening of the jetties to CC channel will have a derogatory effect to the flow of CB as well. I have read multiple articles fearful of the effect of the surrounding inner bay water flow and refresh/replenishment rate, and the overall health of our Rockport bay system.

#11 ·
I know it's wishful thinking but the cost for items such as dredging Cedar Bayou and other cuts for environmental maintenance should be part of the agreements when approvals to deepen or dredge new canals and ship channels. If you look at all the damage the ICW and ship channels have dome to the bays it is depressing. I know we can't go back in time but we know the new channels made for economics change the hydraulics of the bays. This should not just be part of the initial evaluation but funding provide for mitigation for the future.

#13 ·
Great comments POC and others. I doubt a permanent fix is possible other than periodic maintenance dredging. Any jetty system would have to be a massive undertaking, and since Cedar Bayou is a fish pass and not a navigable waterway I don't see that happening. I believe there was a fund for maintenance work and the permitting for such is a shorter process than the initial permit. I had heard that maintenance after five years was expected, but based on the silting before Harvey they may have to plan for more frequent maintenance or change the overall plan. I had also heard that the initial design was deeper and wider to remain open longer but the funds (or time) were not available so the opening was probably not sufficient. Hopefully funding this time can meet the design requirements for a more sustainable project. I like the idea that the work at Port Aransas should include some funding to maintain Cedar Bayou since the Port Aransas work will undoubtedly adversely impact Cedar Bayou's ability to stay open. Remember also that any work at Cedar Bayou must occur between April and October to not affect the whooping cranes in winter.

#15 ·
Years ago the government filled the bayou in to prevent oil from a spill from entering the bay system, why didn’t they correct the problem they created? Didn’t boats use it as a pass 50-60+ years ago? If it had jetties and deep enough for boats to enter and exit just think how that would impact the fishing in Aransas, Carlos, Mesquite, Ayers, and San Antonio bays!!!!! Not to mention another place to fish the surf by boat on calmer days!!! Fix it right one time and minimize maintenance!!!!!!!!!** I fish those areas and prior to Harvey it was outstanding, unbelievable, like when I was a kid!!!! It is the lifeline for those bays. Come on governments, CCA who ever else get on board and quit putting a bandaid on it and fix it... Please correct me if I’m wrong, but prior to government intervention Mother Nature kept it open with tidal flow because it was naturally deep enough, without jetties!!! At least that’s how I read it, that being said wouldn’t it make sense to return it to its natural state? Jetties would be a plus

#19 ·
Pretty confident the conservationist would never let it happen (seems ironic) because of the large whooping crane population that winters there. Believe it or not they’re actually one of the strongest reasons why it will get reopened eventually. Also, pretty sure they budgeted to have it reopened periodically whenever they raised the funds the last time.

Plenty of articles/videos out there showing the tangible benefits. Pretty much killed SA to Copano when it was closed before dredging.

Also, for the record, it was flowing just fine prior to the hurricane. I caught this limit of trout 2 weeks before.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.