Golf cart charging help - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB > TTMB
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
grinderman
Registered Users-pm+

grinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirate
Question Golf cart charging help

Hopefully someone on board knows something about golf cart charging systems.

Its 2001 EZGO 36v golf cart. Problem is the charger will not automatically shut off. I've tried another charger and it won't shut off either and my charger will shut off on the other cart but not mine. If left unattended, it will boil the water in the batteries. So I'm confident the problem is within the cart and not the charger itself!

Is there some sort of relay that back feeds to the charger so it knows when to shut off. I've checked all wiring and cables and all are good. The cart runs great just as always - plenty of speed and easily makes 18 holes. Any suggestions? Could a bad cell in a battery cause this?

Thanks for any help!
grinderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
speckle-catcher
Registered Users-pm+

speckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Pirate
www.buggiesunlimited.com - upper right corner is a link to their forum, but it appears to be down. "cartfixer" and "cartdoctor" are two of their employees that can definately answer the question if the board ever comes up.

or you can call them: "Call the Cart Clinic at 859-624-6518 or 859-624-6517 between 8AM-5PM EST."

Their forum is a great resource for anything to do with carts.

Supergas here builds carts - so he might have an answer too.
speckle-catcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Bigwater
http://www.profishingresearch.co m

Bigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to Pirate
We fix our carts here. I haven't personally worked on them in years but my guys do. If you can, take the good string (from the other cart) And put them in your cart. See if the problem goes away. It sounds as if you have abad battery. Also you can check each battery with a volt meter. the voltage of each battery should be the same or real close. If one is low and the others are hot then you have a bad battery.
There is no relay that back feeds to the charger that I can remember. I really feel that you have a bad battery or two or three.

Biggie
Bigwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
grinderman
Registered Users-pm+

grinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirategrinderman has been promoted to Pirate
Biggie,

What do you mean by the "good string"? I'm going to check the batteries this evening to see if one is bad.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
You have a bad battery somewhere. Do you have three 12 volters? If so start changing them out one at a time and replace with a new one till you find he bad one. You probably can find the bad one with a hydrometer too. You cannot just test the voltage on the battery with a voltmeter. You must place each cell under load to find the bad cell but as I said a hydrometer may do it for you. I think you have a shorted cell which will not allow he voltage to come up so the charger will shut off.

Charlie
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Supergas

Supergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to Pirate
Bounce

If he has a 36V cart he has 6 ea 6 Volt batteries...

If he has a 48V cart he has 6 ea 8 Volt batteries...

If the charger is not shutting off, you have a dead battery.,

Test them with a vom meter; or take them to a battery shop where they can load test them....

If the charger does not see a full pack charge, it will keep on charging....

Supergas
Supergas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
grinderman
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks - I'm going to check out the batteries amd see if I can find the bad one-may be time to give the buggy a new set!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
speckle-catcher
Registered Users-pm+

speckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Pirate
if you gotta buy a new set and can spare the extra money - move up to 48V
speckle-catcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 01:39 AM   #9
trout250
Registered Users-pm+

trout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Piratetrout250 has been promoted to Pirate
Bluefish

Mine done this, I couldn't figure it out, charger finally quit. come to find out if there is one battery in the bunch that is bad will cause this to happen.
trout250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
Bigwater
http://www.profishingresearch.co m

Bigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to PirateBigwater has been promoted to Pirate
Yep bad battery. Voltage checks is the first check to make. If one battery is substantially lower than the others then it will cause the others to "draw down" .
When I say a string of batteries in this case I am talking about several batteries in series that make up one large pack.
Sure a load test is needed on each battery if the voltage checks come up good.
I'm wanting to say that 6- 6 volt batteries for a cart would run somewhere around 8-900 bucks. If you were to raplace all of them. When replacing single batteries in a string like this one you run the risk of other weak or close to go batteries drawing the new one down to thier level. Knot good.
Don't forget to grease all your terminals when you connect the new batteries. Make sure all the threads on the bolts have grease also.
When you purchase batteries one thing to know is how to choose quality. Quality of a battery is determined by weight. When you view the specs on batteries you will see a column that tells you the weight of the battery. The heavier the battery the higher quality and longer it will last.

Biggie
Bigwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message