Quitting x10 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Tobacco Quitters Support Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quitting x10

Ok, I have tried to quit dipping snuff no telling how many times. Tried switching brands, now I can dip anything. Tried the patches, ended up with a snuff/patch/coffee buzz from he77. Tried cold turkey and my wife was going to divorce me. So I am back on the can for the golzillionth time. I have been dipping since I was 18, over 35 years, wake up in the morning and put one in first thing, drink coffee/coke/tea with a dip in, never spit, spit it out and get in the bed at night kind of habit. Very high stress job to boot. Anybody got any suggestions other than get a rope. I am joking but seriously need to quit, no health issues yet, but I know it's coming. My sister is a dentist and she won't even work on me anymore cause I won't quit. About the only thing I haven't tried is Chantix and the stuff I read about it scares the heck out of me. Thanks.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Stumpgrinder
Registered Users-pm+

Stumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to Pirate
I quit with Chanitx. ( 9 months ago after a 30 year habit) I smoked and dipped and quit them both at the same time.

I had vivid dreams but not the nightmares some people speak of. It helped ( CHantix) but there were and are still rough patches. Albeit it has gotten 99 % better over time. My doc prescibed me an anti anxiety pill to get through the first few days although I never took one. I was an edgy mofo for about 2 weeks and I have a high stress job too.

PM me if you want more insight . You CAN do this
Stumpgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Stump, did the Chantix make you edgy or the quitting or both or you couldn't tell???? I don't need ANY help being edgy, got a hair trigger as it is. I am seriously considering it, but might take a week vacation and just fish or hunt the whole time so I can at least have the job out of the way. But I love a good dip with a cold beer when I fish or hunt, dang!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Stumpgrinder
Registered Users-pm+

Stumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to Pirate
Quitting a pack a day , 5 can a week habit made me edgy. Chantix didnt have a danged thing to do with it.

I have the all the patience of a rattlesnake with a tooth ache so I resemble your hair trigger.

You can do it. It will suck A%$ up front but if you want to quit bad enough it can be done. If I can do it anybody can.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
RB II
Native Texan

Man, a pack a day plus snuff, you were a fiend. Had an uncle that dipped snuff and chewed tobacco at the same time. But enough of that.

I guess it probably just lies in the fact that I truly haven't made my mind up to quit. As I am sure everybody is, I LOVE a good dip and if it weren't for the fact that I know my health will pay one day, I wouldn't even consider it, but it is catching up to me now, I can tell. I have tried looking at the pictures of guys with their lips gone and throat issues, all that stuff and it doesn't phase me, I guess I am just not scared by that, but I know I should be. I promised my wife I would quit when my son was 1, he turned 25 this year, not good. Any ideas on getting your mind right or do you have to want to for Chantix to work? I know it would be more effective if you truly wanted to quit.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
the_dude_abides
You got the wrong guy man, I'm the dude.

the_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Piratethe_dude_abides has been promoted to Pirate
I quit a 4/5 can a week habit a little while back. I'd been dipping for over 10 years. Quitting sucked. I would dip the nicked up gum (3 or 4 pieces) and spit into a cup. After a couple of days, I started replacing a piece of nicked up gum with the regular. I did this until I was only dipping regular gum. Quitting sucked and guess what, I want a dip right now, but I'm not going to get one because I don't want to put my family through all the medical issues that could arise if I start again. I have a high pressure, high stress job as well and it only makes quitting tougher. If you really want to quit, you just have to make it a priority, man up and be strong enough in in your mind to not do it anymore.

Use the boards for accountability, there are a lot of people on here who have been through the same thing as you. If we can do it, you can too.
the_dude_abides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Wading Wonder
Been diagnosed with fishing fever

Wading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to PirateWading Wonder has been promoted to Pirate
Well I took my last dip Monday evening. Apparently I have been he77 to live with or be around because of this. I didnt realize it till tonight while I was sitting here with my 4yr old son. I snapped at him for no good reason and hurt his feelings. So I took a dip from a the can I had since monday and I am not proud of it. It did calm me down but I am really dissappointed. Well I have gum in now so it's good for the time being. Quitting does suck but I know I'll be better off because of it.

I just want to say that I have been reading this forum and it has helped. I want to say I really like the advice from all of you that post here. Thank you
Wading Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #8
Stumpgrinder
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydraSports View Post
Man, a pack a day plus snuff, you were a fiend. Had an uncle that dipped snuff and chewed tobacco at the same time. But enough of that.

I guess it probably just lies in the fact that I truly haven't made my mind up to quit. As I am sure everybody is, I LOVE a good dip and if it weren't for the fact that I know my health will pay one day, I wouldn't even consider it, but it is catching up to me now, I can tell. I have tried looking at the pictures of guys with their lips gone and throat issues, all that stuff and it doesn't phase me, I guess I am just not scared by that, but I know I should be. I promised my wife I would quit when my son was 1, he turned 25 this year, not good. Any ideas on getting your mind right or do you have to want to for Chantix to work? I know it would be more effective if you truly wanted to quit.
Yes. I was a fiend.

Two things made me quit.

1. I was embarrassed at what I had become and at my loss of control

2. 2 doctors told me I would die soon if I didnt quit.

You have to want to quit. Motivation had to come from within for me. Good luck to you
Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
John A
Registered Users-pm+

John A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of GunnerJohn A has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Chantix worked for me,two pks a day pall mall non filter 33yr's, no sale price on them coffen nails 70.53$ every 10 days,even that didn't make quit,My wife poped off and said< If you quit you could afford that Harley you always woanted>almost 9 months no cigaretts <Harley in garage> Maby a lettle insentive would help in your case,good luck it took me 4 trys in 3yr's patches/gum/ect...don't give up we can do this.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
RB II
Native Texan

Guys, thanks for all the responses and support. I am still in the "making my mind up stage" right now, but I am intent upon quitting, I just gotta find the right motivation or tell myself the right story as to why I need to quit (Crucial Conversations training kicking in, LOL). I will check into this thread often to post my progress and ask for advise. Oh, by the way, I am also on a diet and trying to lose 25 or 30 lbs, so I am a glutton for punishment!!! Thanks.