Limit of Redfish - new Color GrassWalker - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Limit of Redfish - new Color GrassWalker

First a fishing report: fished LLM with a buddy of mine last weekend under pretty tough conditions. NE wind to 20 as front was rolling in. Rained hard with scattered showers still lingering. Pressure rising as we continued with a super high tide that usually scatters reds way way back into areas you can't reach them most of the year. Man you gotta learn to use the wind to your advantage. No we were not going go do anything unsafe and we weren't getting beat up,.. but we used the wind to our advantage. Wind moves water and causes a lot of conditions that cause fish to feed. Honestly I've caught more fish in zones that were not calm but also not blown out than any wind protect area. Fished a couple of shorelines in south bay which is historically good this time of year because of where it is and yep.. glass minnows. Find the bait and you find the fish.. well, it's gotta be the bait that the fish want and sometimes mullet will be mixed in there as well but if the forage isn't there you're not going to find the fish your after. So don't always just park it on the calm shoreline.. investigate areas that are a little windy.. fish will feed better. We didnt here of anyone else really killing it that morning and while not 'stud redfish' it was still a limit. We did have one token 27" fish as well but most were in the 20-24" range.

What did I catch them on? TroutSupport GrassWalker. I was fishing shallow seagrass. Grass wasn't floating up just yet, but I didn't want to have to work a plastic faster just to keep it up out of the grass.. the GW hovers when you stop it and stays weedless even if you let it sink into the grass. The floating grass will be here soon enough. I was using the Trokar TK 140 in 5/0... the Trokar TK 160 in 3/0 also has great results and it's already shaped perfectly right out of the package (Dicks.com and Dicks carries these hooks fairly regularly). Weightless... honestly I fish it weightless 99% of the time. Only time to fish it with a weight is fishing 3' + and casting into the wind all day like a surf with a light SE wind. They are also very good in the surf.

A year ago I asked a lot of people if they wanted the GrassWalker in Red / White. The resounding answer was !!!**** Yeah!!! Red with a white tail can be a great color in the summer time. It really shines in sandy, tannic, or algae stained water conditions. Well they wanted it just fine on that trip. Caught a limit of reds; not big fish but a limit.

So if you love red and white I've put together a new spin on the old coloration.

More information on the General Board at Major TroutSupport.com Announcement!!!

For those that wanted them... or love Strawberry Red / White...

Also... for those of you struggling catching fish around the glass minnows.. you should consider throwing the GrassWalker in Bone, or Birthday Suit. It's out produced topwaters and other suspending lures for me two springs in a row. But i'm sure it must ALL be HYPE, huh? ;-)

https://troutsupport.com/product/trout-support-lure/
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
SaltwaterSlick
Registered Users-pm+

SaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to Pirate
Can't wait to try 'em out!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Yeah it's been cool to see guys happy with them.
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
Blutarsky
Registered Users-pm+

Blutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
I tried the Trokar hooks but I like to skin the tip of the hook on the lure to keep it weedless and to keep the lure from sliding back on the hook. The sharp angular point of the Trokar hook cuts the lure and pretty quickly it won't stay skinned. I went to the Owner Beast Twistlock 4/0 and it seems to work very well. The Beast hook is very wide gap so plenty of room for the lure to push out of the way on the hookset. Owner leaves a point on their screw lock which makes it easier to screw the lure on. And the Owner hook point is smooth on the back so it does not cut the lure when you skin the point. If you like the Trokar hooks better then I recommend getting some of the Owner screw locks and change out the Trokar screw-locks. Makes it much easier to put the lure on..
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
blackmagic

blackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirateblackmagic has been promoted to Pirate
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blackmagic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
ccoker
Registered Users-pm+

ccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunnerccoker has been promote to Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
I tried the Trokar hooks but I like to skin the tip of the hook on the lure to keep it weedless and to keep the lure from sliding back on the hook. The sharp angular point of the Trokar hook cuts the lure and pretty quickly it won't stay skinned. I went to the Owner Beast Twistlock 4/0 and it seems to work very well. The Beast hook is very wide gap so plenty of room for the lure to push out of the way on the hookset. Owner leaves a point on their screw lock which makes it easier to screw the lure on. And the Owner hook point is smooth on the back so it does not cut the lure when you skin the point. If you like the Trokar hooks better then I recommend getting some of the Owner screw locks and change out the Trokar screw-locks. Makes it much easier to put the lure on..
are you running the weighted or no weighted?
I just ordered some of these soft baits, anxious to try them next weekend in Rockport.. I suspect with the high tides I will need to be targeting the grassy areas..
ccoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #7
Blutarsky
Registered Users-pm+

Blutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
I have been fishing them unweighted, mainly in shallow water (less than 3').
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoker View Post
are you running the weighted or no weighted?
I just ordered some of these soft baits, anxious to try them next weekend in Rockport.. I suspect with the high tides I will need to be targeting the grassy areas..
I fish them unweighted 99% of the time. The only time I use a weighted hook is when I'm casting into the wind all day to get a little more distance... you'd be surprised how well they cast into the wind without a weight!!!! I even caught trout this weekend on a drop from grass edge into 4'-5' by just fishing really slow more like fishing a corky devil in the winter... I let it sink 4-5 count initially, slow pull, then twitch twitch, repeat. Let it stay down, don't pull it up. In that manner you don't need a weight until you start getting in the 5+ range.. and in all honesty at that point I even start to use DSLs, Little John's, and Provokers when I start fishing that deep unless I'm fishing deep rocks that also come way up off the bottom. My Friend Clayton Thomas does this very effectively in deep rocks with the GrassWalker and loves it.