First Moose in the Books - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Bow Hunting Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
speckassassin
Registered Users-pm+

speckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Riggerspeckassassin has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
First Moose in the Books

I am currently on a plain to Texas after spending the past 10 days in Canada on an archery moose hunt. First few days were brutally hot, with no game moving and having only seen a few cows.

Wednesday evening, temperatures dropped and game everywhere. Thursday morning I had wind switch directions on a bull when I was at 100yds who would have easily made Pope and young bull (solid chance at making B&C). Friday morning saw some huge bulls but in way too thick of timber to get a shot.

Later in morning, I saw a few nice bulls in a meadow near a pond. I jumped into a stream in about thigh high water and made up a few hundred yards of distance. Thereafter, I belly crawled through y’all/wet/cold grass to 75yds. At that point, got on my knees, made one last range check, came to full draw, and let the arrow fling on a bull quartering away. Arrow slid in right behind near shoulder, tore through heart, and passed through opposite shoulder. Less than 50feet later, I had my first moose on ground.

He wasn’t a monster, but I’m tickled pink. No one else in area was able to harvest any animals.

I will say, I have new found respect for them. Not being the rut, putting a spot and stalk on them is really difficult. Almost as frustrating as trying to spot and stalk a pronghorn in northwestern Colorado.

I’ve now taken most of the major North American game animals with a bow. It’s time to start focusing on a the sheep species and a mountain goat...

Here are a few pictures (more to come once I get back to Texas):
Attached Images

speckassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Jleinneweber
Registered Users-pm+

Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Jleinneweber has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Congrats!!!
Jleinneweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #3
Texashookset
second to the last....

Texashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to Pirate
Awesome bud. Congratulations.
Texashookset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
bluefin
Senior Mumbler

bluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Piratebluefin has been promoted to Pirate
Great job. Hope you had some help getting him out. I was told moose always die in ponds which makes getting them out that much more fun. lol

You sheep will be difficult but the mountain goat will be really tough. I'd suggest Canada over Alaska for both.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
coup de grace
Dang it...

coup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Piratecoup de grace has been promoted to Pirate
Yes sir.
coup de grace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
Josh5
Registered Users-pm+

Josh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to PirateJosh5 has been promoted to Pirate
That's awesome. Congrats!
Josh5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
O&G-HAND
Salty Dawg

O&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to PirateO&G-HAND has been promoted to Pirate
When are you cooking moose steaks? I wanna come over!!!

Congrats!!
O&G-HAND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
Congratulations! That’s awesome. I have never had moose steaks but I have had moose liver. It was delicious, if you like liver, I hope you saved it.
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Trouthunter
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate

Trouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to Pirate
Congratulations! One heck of a good Moose!

TH
Old 09-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
Seacat50
Registered Users-pm+

Seacat50 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
that is GREAT!!
Seacat50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message