2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Dutch Stamppot (Koolstamppot)

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kweber 
#1 ·
I have traveled to Holland many times, and I must say that with the exception of Ossenworst, I have really enjoyed every traditional Dutch dish I have tried. Stamppots are one of my favorites!

This is an extremely easy dish. Its simplicity makes it great for camping, a busy week night, or a Sunday lunch! If you want to, everything can be done in advance, and it reheats extremely well.

If you grow your own potatoes, cabbage, or onions, it's a great use for those too as the flavors really come out and are not overpowered by other things. The potatoes in the photo below are home grown, while the other ingredients were purchased.

Koolstamppot

Ingredients:

1 ring of sausage (I use kielbasa as it is similar to the sausages I see used in the Netherlands)

1 head of cabbage (~2 lb)

1.5-2 lb of potatoes

1 large onion

1 c water or broth

salt and pepper

Directions:

Chop all the ingredients into large dices. Layer the ingredients in a large pot or Dutch oven in the following order; onion, potato (with salt), cabbage, sausage.

Pour about 1 c of water or broth into the pot. You want about 1/2" or so in the bottom of the pot.

Simmer on medium heat 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes and cabbage are tender. Stir everything up just before serving, slightly breaking down the potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.

That's it!

When I get stamppots in Holland, they are often served with brown gravy on top. I like a little mustard on the side to dip into now and again instead.

NOTE: Cabbage is just one version of this dish. You could replace it with other firm greens like kale (boerenkoolstamppot) or even sauerkraut (zuurkoolstamppot).

Photo Legend:

1. The simple, humble ingredients
2. Everything diced up
3. Everything in the pot
4. Time to eat!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
cooked taters, cabbage, onions and wurst...
smash some garlic...
simmer in beer!
strain and slop on some butter and blk pepper...
add spices of choice...
coriander is a good one...
also herbs de province...
deer saug makes good camp food...
poot contest later!

#5 ·
grill sausage (any kind)
boil chopped taters till tender.. dress w/sour cream, butter, S&P...
saute sliced apples and onions in butter..
deglaze w/whte wine, add kraut (a lot), blk pepper and simmer...
serve on plate as a main course..
quick, EZ deer camp (or home) supper...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.