Sockets/Impact Wrench - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #11
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
I recommend regularly treating the wheel studs and lug nuts with some grease or anti-corrosive agent to prevent the difficulty in removing the lug nuts. To the point that you remove each lug nut and treat it and re-install when there is no other reason to do so, likely once a year. If not, eventually, the impact wrench will likely break off studs when the rust gets bad enough. Prevention is much cheaper and easier than repairs.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
^^Be aware that greasing or oiling the threads will change the torque values.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/t...ts-d_1693.html
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #13
SeaIsleDweller
Registered Users-pm+

SeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to PirateSeaIsleDweller has been promoted to Pirate
I bought a set of Tekton impact socks off Amazon a little over a year ago just for the poupose of using with my cordless impact for trailer lugs and random nut and bolt jobs around the garage ... came in handy when I replaced my trailer bunks. They are cheap but are heavy and feel like great quality for "DIY" purposes. Pay attention to what size drive you have, but you can always just buy an adapter. I also always use permatex aluminum based anti seize on the studs, do not use copper based. I've never have done engineering "torque" calcs for my lugs but have not had an issue with the lug backing off.
SeaIsleDweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
Mouse52
Registered Users-pm+

Mouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to PirateMouse52 has been promoted to Pirate
You can also get torque sticks that are color coded for different torque values. This keeps you from overtorqueing if using tongue wrench to tighten lugs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015NI2NP8..._mD0uCb8WZP3A9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mouse52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse52 View Post
You can also get torque sticks that are color coded for different torque values. This keeps you from overtorqueing if using tongue wrench to tighten lugs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015NI2NP8..._mD0uCb8WZP3A9

I never knew of these. Cool!

When I had my trailer tires replaced at a tire shop, I watched the guy use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs. I asked what he had the torque wrench set at and he said 100 ft-lbs.

I bought an electric impact wrench to get the lugs off and I also purchased a torque wrench to tighten them up. I wish I had seen these torque sticks earlier.
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #16
Hooked
Registered Users-pm+

Hooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to Pirate
Never of those torque sticks either. Just ordered a set!
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #17
CopanoCruisin
Registered Users-pm+

CopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to PirateCopanoCruisin has been promoted to Pirate
Be very careful to not get any lubricant/antisieze on the taper portion of the lug nut and taper on the wheel where it seats. ...........cC
CopanoCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #18
ibtbone
John 3:16

ibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirateibtbone has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
Never of those torque sticks either. Just ordered a set!

I’m told not to use the torque sticks in reverse

ibtbone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #19
Eaglebeaver
Registered Users-pm+

Eaglebeaver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
You may also want an 18” ‘breaker bar’ and a 6” extension. Too often the lug nuts get tightened to tight for the impact wrench to break loose. Leave the tire on the ground until all of the nuts have been loosened....like a half turn. We had one that also took a pipe’cheater’ bar on the breaker bar.
Eaglebeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message