Sway control or not - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Camping out and RV Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
cman
Registered Users-pm+

cman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Pirate
Sway control or not

Picking up a 29' tt Monday late morning and want to make it to my property 200 miles away by nightfall.

Tahoe LT- tow capacity 8,600lbs.

Trailer: 29'
Dry Weight 5,790 lbs.
Hitch Weight 815 lbs.

Once on my property, the trailer will sit there until my house is built and the trailer is sold. It's a one and done move. I'm cheap, but I don't mind spending the money for uhaul or someone to install sway control if necessary.

Any experience towing a travel trailer without sway control? If to be avoided at all cost, what's the fastest way to get and instal the weight distribution bars? - uhaul, trailer wheel and frame, or myself?
cman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Level or juuuuuust slightly forward hitch level and any reasonable speed under 65 and you should be fine.......with high winds slow it way down.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
bubbas kenner
Gods blessings surround us.

bubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Pirate
I pulled a 24'travel trailer with a FX4 1/2 ton from a deer lease near Rye to Texas campgrounds Galveston for 5 years I highly recommend a sway bar to level the load with the truck and have the trailer brakes hopefully you can rent the sway bar.Be safe buddy I always look forward to your fishing reports
bubbas kenner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
cman
Registered Users-pm+

cman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Piratecman has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks all. I am heading to northern tool in a minute to get the weight distributing hitch. The actual "sway bar" is an addition to that and only $50 but requires drilling into the frame. I think I'll buy both and hold off on the sway bar portion but pull over and tap in if needed on way.
Definitely meeting a couple of friends and fly fishing tomorrow evening thru Wednesday BK so I'll send a report.
BTW- i know you are holding off fishing the salt these days. Cool winter temps and fly fishing the Guad may be a great option for you.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
cman
Registered Users-pm+

On the Guadalupe. Hey Bubba- here's that report. If anyone goes they shoukd consider supporting the fine folks at Gypsy River and Action Angler.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
cman
Registered Users-pm+

And about sway control- Not sure if my weight distribution hitch worked or not. I was in a hurry to leave and get out of the seller's driveway. I should have been more precise about leveling the load before the trip. I skipped a step or two and am pretty sure I negated a lot of the benefits and had too heavy a load on my back end. It swayed a bit but I just kept going to get to the river before dark.
Now that I've got the trailer there, it's at a campsite until next week when my well and pad will be done. Then it's going a few doors down to my property where it'll stay until my build is finished at which point I'll likely sell it. But, I made it!