Cooking prime rib! - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Recipes
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
Wolfie#2
Registered Users-pm+

Wolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to Pirate
Cooking prime rib!

The Little Lady (Mrs. Wolfie) decided she had cooked enough turkey when she found a 6.25 lb chunk of prime rib on sale for $4.99/ lb. Don't know if that's a good deal or not but it looks like it's gonna be my job to cook it for T;day. Problem is, I have never cooked prime rib. I could google Google and probably will. But would like to ask the 2Cool Chefs for some pointers. I can cook it in the oven or on the pit. Wood or charcoal. Don't matter to me. Just the particulars to do it right. I haven't even looked at the cut yet. I am guessing it has bones in it. And maybe it can be cut into steaks, (ribeye type). I have heard it can/should be cooked as a whole and cut for serving? I am more of a medium meat person but seems like most like med/rare. Rub or no. Marinate or no. Will the outside pieces be more well done than the inside ones (I suspect ). I will research the recipe archives but will also accept any new info. Anyway, I can use all the help I can get on this. Thanks in advance for any info!!!!!!!!!!
Wolfie#2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
fishingtwo
You'll Never Catch em Like That

fishingtwo has disabled reputation
I am no expert but I like to give it a good smooking on the pit then finish it off in the oven.
fishingtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
bogan
Registered Users-pm+

bogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Piratebogan has been promoted to Pirate
I smoke a prime rib every year for thanksgiving. I rub the outside with Salt, pepper, rosemary and a little olive oil. I put it in my offset smoker and crank it up to about 300. I pull it off at an internal temp of 133 and it is a perfect med rare. If you like it more medium, I would pull closer to 140.

A mandatory side is horseradish sauce. Sour cream and grated horse radish with salt, pepper, and chives.

Good luck.
bogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
Wolfie#2
Registered Users-pm+

Wolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to PirateWolfie#2 has been promoted to Pirate
Since PR is basically ribeye steaks uncut, I just treated it like I would a steak. Pepper rub, 2 hrs @ 350 brought it to 140 and it was medium. Just the way I like'em.
Wolfie#2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
brickbat
Registered Users-pm+

brickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbrickbat has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
prime rib

wolfie,

I been wanted to fry one in my turkey fryer. I have heard that it is the best prime rib anywhere, inject it with the garlic butter, salt and pepper the exterior, fry for 3 minutes per pound, bring meat to 140/150 degrees.

If anyone has tried this let me know.

brickbat
brickbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
CobraO
Registered Users-pm+

CobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to PirateCobraO has been promoted to Pirate
Best prime rib I have had, restaurant or other.

Prime 1 from HEB. Sometimes you can catch it on sale for about $10 / pound.

Let it rest at room temp for 5-6 hours. Half way through, I rub it with with a beef rub from HEB. It is here: http://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-...soning/1664001

Cover the bone ends so they don't burn (optional) I put it on a spit rotisserie and use my Kamado Joe egg over an open fire at around 350 temp.

Takes about 90 minutes to get to get to around 130 internal temp, nice and rare.

Don't forget to let it rest for about 15-20 minutes.

CobraO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message