Shooting pigs at night - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Bow Hunting Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Deersteaks
Registered Users-pm+

Deersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to PirateDeersteaks has been promoted to Pirate
Not to oversimplify it, but you can go to "Lowe's" or "Walmart" and pick up 3 or 4 of the little solar lights people place along their driveway's or flower gardens and wire/tie them to your feeder legs. They are inexpensive and don't need batteries or anything else. The hogs will get used to them quickly as will other animals and as I stated earlier, they are cheap and no maintenance required! But if green lights make it better for you, then go that way! Good luck!
Deersteaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
UndertheCushion
Registered Users-pm+

UndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerUndertheCushion has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
coon

Loving your bow hunting enthusiasm but I feel that I should share my own experience with trying to kill a pig with a bow at night.

First off, assuming you have killed pigs at night with a gun, stick with the gun. Bowhunting for pigs at night is not as glorious as you might think. Be prepared to lose an arrow.

Full Moon with clear skies is the only viable option you have in my opinion... wait hold on, better yet, set up a pig trap near the feeder, catch one, wait till the sun goes down and then shoot it. BINGO

But seriously, its very difficult to shoot and its even if you manage to "let it fly" and make contact, you cant see anything. Very disorienting to say the least.

Also, the glow lights don't work well unless the pig is directly below the feeder. I don't know what/where your setup is, but more likely than not, there will be a pigs scattered somewhere you can't see and will bust you before you get in range (unless you're already posted up in a tripod or popup in which the my comments above still apply)

My 2 cents
UndertheCushion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #13
bigdaddyflo
Registered Users-pm+

bigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Piratebigdaddyflo has been promoted to Pirate
We use wildgame moonlight lights. They come on when game gets near the lights and turns them on. As long as the game is near the lights, they stay on. We have a magnet attached to this light and stick it to the legs or housing. Just don't point the lights in your direction and you'll be good. Hungry hogs aren't bothered by the green light.
Attached Images

bigdaddyflo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
manwitaplan
I AM EASTSIDE

manwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Piratemanwitaplan has been promoted to Pirate
Shooting pigs at night with a bow is a blast. We usually just stayed on stand and waited them out.

Get some glow in the dark paint an dpaint your peep. Also try to use the lighted nocturnals for your nocks. It makes it easier to find if they run off with one stuck in them.

Give it a shot. We also practiced at dark.
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 06:09 AM   #15
2Ws
Registered Users-pm+

2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate
It's a must to have both eyes open, you have to assume your peep is lined up on full draw and only concentrate on your pins and your lit target. A lot of archers don't realize the importance of both eyes open when it comes to shooting in low light situations
2Ws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
sqiggy
Registered Users-pm+

sqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Piratesqiggy has been promoted to Pirate
Let me tell ya how I do it and I've killed a many at night. Years ago, I bought a Hawg Lite for my bow. It screws in where your stabilizer goes and has a pressure switch which I mounted where when I come to full draw and curl my fingers, I can press it then. It has a blue light and works wonders on pigs. Then, I bought a small light at Academy and it has a tube where you can bend it in any direction. That light is blue as well. Although it's no more than a pen light, it puts out more light than what I need. So I covered it with electrical tape and punch a pin hole in it. That is all you need to light up your pins. I put a twist tie around my riser and that light clips to that. Then I bend the tube where it is pointing straight down on my sights. When the hogs come in, you can draw pointing slightly upward, turn the Hawg Lite on, then drop down to the pigs. Never had one spook. I have even drawn and turn light right on them and they never move.
BUT, before you even try hunting at night, you still need to practice shooting at night.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #17
txpitdog
Registered Users-pm+

txpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Piratetxpitdog has been promoted to Pirate
Shooting pigs at night

Here's what I've learned in my first few attempts at killing a pig at night with my bow.

Sight lights are no bueno. The pins are so bright compared to everything else it makes it difficult to see the target. Besides you don't even need to see the pin itself. Just silhouette it against the target and that's plenty.

NAP stabilizer light from Academy for $70-80 works pretty good. Good enough anyway. It may not hold up as well as some of the high dollar lights, but you can decide how often you plan to hunt hogs at night and which product is right for you

The stabilizer light initially spooks them and they may jump off. I click it on then immediately click it off. Wait a minute or two and repeat. Do this a few times then click it on and leave it on, preferably on your target pig. Draw and try to get a shot off without shining the light directly in the their eyes

Forget about using your peep. You don't necessarily need a kisser button, but you need more than one anchor point, or a repeatable process that guarantees you're on target without needing the peep. I use my release thumb, pointer finger knuckle, draw arm elbow position, certain back muscle flex and bow arm shoulder position, then gently tip my nose to the string. If I do that I can shoot accurately without the peep.

Finally, practice at night as much as you can. Daytime practice is good for setting up your shot process but put it to use by practicing in the dark.

I'm able to shoot from up to 40yds in my driveway but my nighttime shots are only 20.

txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #18
Huntinfool
Registered Users-pm+

Huntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerHuntinfool has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Let me tell ya how I do it and I've killed a many at night. Years ago, I bought a Hawg Lite for my bow. It screws in where your stabilizer goes and has a pressure switch which I mounted where when I come to full draw and curl my fingers, I can press it then. It has a blue light and works wonders on pigs. Then, I bought a small light at Academy and it has a tube where you can bend it in any direction. That light is blue as well. Although it's no more than a pen light, it puts out more light than what I need. So I covered it with electrical tape and punch a pin hole in it. That is all you need to light up your pins. I put a twist tie around my riser and that light clips to that. Then I bend the tube where it is pointing straight down on my sights. When the hogs come in, you can draw pointing slightly upward, turn the Hawg Lite on, then drop down to the pigs. Never had one spook. I have even drawn and turn light right on them and they never move.
BUT, before you even try hunting at night, you still need to practice shooting at night.
I do just about the same thing. Except I use the tape on my sight light to dim it down.
Also my stabilizer light is home made.

Works like a charm.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2017, 02:00 AM   #19
chris.m.cook
Registered Users-pm+

chris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Riggerchris.m.cook has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
With the right equipment night hunting is just as easy and way more effective than hunting in daylight. I use a whisker biscuit so no worries on which way the arrow goes on the string if a second shot is needed in the dark, the blind sider light lights up the ground around my feeder when the pigs come in, the Piglet light which is bow mounted is turned on before the shot and the pin light on the trophy taker sites lights the pins. It's easy just let the hogs get comfortable eating and draw and shoot just like it's high noon. A lighted arrow knock will tell the direction the hog goes if you don't get a pass thru and if you do the arrow is easy to find.
chris.m.cook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #20
hjm

hjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Piratehjm has been promoted to Pirate
Elusive Wildlife makes a green light that has magnets on the back. We used to put them on the bottom of our feeders for night hunting. They work pretty good!
hjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message