Cast iron - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Recipes
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #11
Mikeg77583
Experience is the best teacher

Mikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to PirateMikeg77583 has been promoted to Pirate
Well time got the best of me and i didn't want to rush and buy a cast iron without looking around first so I picked up a aluminum pan with basket for $20 at walmart... while there in light 2 boxes of cat fish fillets, hush puppies, fries and some Louisiana brand fish fry like mentioned above .... I got the New Orleans style Louisiana fry and man o man was that stuff GREAT!!!! everything came out awesome! The filets were like 1/2 pound each huge and so good! I plan on buying a good cast iron pan for in the future... also the pot came with a thermometer so temp was on point all night.... thanks for all the info! ..... also I forgot about the specs and red I had in the freezer and cooked only the cat fish so I'll be cooking some up again maybe this weekend ... thanks again! Lots of good info always
Mikeg77583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #12
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
some folks are going to the Mx discadas for fish frying...
heats faster after each batch acct of shallow depth...
all done outside acct less mess...
I probably have20 pieces of cast-iron cookware from small skillets to dutch ovens of various sizes to a couple of wash pots...
one old wash pot was the right size to put in a de-boned doe and Wick Fowler's chili fixins...
that fed a dozen or so hungry tx teens... I was 17 when we figgered that out...
pony keg on the side to wash down the chili and crackers...
kweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #13
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
If you want to fry a little batch of shrimp or oysters or fish.

that fry grapappy is darn handy and I have a truckload of cast iron and fryers

Last edited by CoastalOutfitters; 12-16-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
CoastalOutfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #14
larr
Registered Users-pm+

larr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Piratelarr has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
Agree with all of the above, but will add any of the Louisiana brand fish fry products are excellent if you don't have your own secret recipe.

Will also add, please don't buy tilapia, nasty stuff from overseas, buy fresh catfish nuggets from HEB or any other fresh fillets from a reputable fish house over those nasty carp things.
Try Lamb's at HEB. My own, (ok, got it from a guide). Ritz Crackers, Saltine Cracker (crunched up), Old Bay, and rice flour.
Awesome coating.

Cast Iron is the one!
larr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2018, 05:04 AM   #15
country
Registered Users-pm+

country is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I was given an old cast iron Dutch oven that hasn't been used in at least 20 year's. What would be the best way to clean it before using it?
country is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #16
Postman
Registered Users-pm+

Postman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to PiratePostman has been promoted to Pirate
Fry mix, 1 handful flour, 1 handful cornmeal, 1 handful panko breading. Black pepper, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Double, triple, or more times depending on how much fish you're gonna fry. Put your seasoning in the fry mix not on the fish. Good luck............call when it's ready.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #17
ShoalTower
Registered Users-pm+

ShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to PirateShoalTower has been promoted to Pirate
Cast iron

HEB used to make their own fry in mango habanero but for some reason stopped selling it over here in league city. It was some good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShoalTower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #18
bzrk180
Registered Users-pm+

bzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Piratebzrk180 has been promoted to Pirate
Cast Iron ALL THE WAY!! I love Louisiana fish fry myself.
bzrk180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #19
flex
Registered Users-pm+

flex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirateflex has been promoted to Pirate
Cast iron! Go buy a big Dutch oven, season it right, and use it for everything and pass down for generations!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
flex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #20
kweber
Registered Users-pm+

kweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Piratekweber has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by country View Post
I was given an old cast iron Dutch oven that hasn't been used in at least 20 year's. What would be the best way to clean it before using it?
fill w/ water and boil....
may need to scrub w/a stiff brush and re-boil and re-season...
lotta vids out there about old cast-iron cook-ware
kweber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message