Towing question. I need help. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
five.0 fisher
Registered Users-pm+

five.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Pirate
Towing question. I need help.

I just bought my wife a new SUV. I checked the towing capacity before even looking and explained to the salesman and the dealership that I would use the vehicle to pull my travel trailer. My tt is lightweight (2800 lbs dry) so it falls under the towing capacity of the vehicle without a concern. I guess I had a cranial rectal inversion and overlooked the fact that the vehicle had a class II hitch. The hitch is factory installed as a tow package. I have no experience and/or knowledge of class II hitches, all of mine in the past have been calss III. I called discount hitch after discovering the vehicle had the class II hitch and they told me it is rated for 3500 lbs. I asked about changing it to a class III and they said it couldnt be done because most of the vehicles equipped with the tow package from the factory are permenantly mounted to the frame.

So my question is this: am I going to have trouble or have to worry about the class II hitch with my travel trailer? That reciever just looks so small compared to everything I have had in the past. Please give me your opinions, comments, concerns, and even maybe some possible solutions. Thanks in advance.
five.0 fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Pocketfisherman
POC chunker

Pocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Equally important as the trailer weight is the tongue weight. Class IIs won't support nearly as much tongue weight as a bigger hitch. If you can find a load equalizing setup for a classII, that will take care of the tongue weight issue. But, that might be a big IF as I don't think I've ever seen an equalizer setup for that hitch class rating.
Pocketfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
five.0 fisher
Registered Users-pm+

five.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Piratefive.0 fisher has been promoted to Pirate
I have no idea what my tongue weight is. The vehicle says its rated for 575 lbs for tongue weight.
My tt is a 19' Starcraft hybrid. Before this, all I have ever pulled were my boats and a kayak trailer. How do I figure out my tongue weight short of using a scale under the jack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
Red3Fish
Registered Users-pm+

Red3Fish has disabled reputation
A bathroom scale with check it up to about 300#.

Later
R3F
Red3Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
five.0 fisher
Registered Users-pm+

Checking the man. specs for 08 models like mine (02 model) the tongue weight shouldnt exceed the limits. My older model is about 600 lbs dryweight less than the same trailer in an 08 model and its hitch weight is less than 500 lbs.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
bigdav160
Registered Users-pm+

bigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Piratebigdav160 has been promoted to Pirate
You didn't mention which SUV, but from the sounds of it, I think you are pushing the limits of it's towing ability.
bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
five.0 fisher
Registered Users-pm+

2008 Jeep commander 4x4, ( 6 cylinder).
Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
TimOub007
Getting shallower means chewing mud

TimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterTimOub007 has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
I would call the dealer back and see if the 2" (Class III) hitch was even an option. If it is, then maybe they can swap it out. I know my wife's Explorer came with a Class II, but a Class III was an option. I haven't climbed underneath to see if it is built into the frame or permanently mounted though, I doubt that it is.

Worth a call to the dealer's parts department in the AM.

T
TimOub007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message