PM Post - Lures and fishing the surf - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
PM Post - Lures and fishing the surf

I received the following PM from James a minute ago and after a legnthy reponse I decided that maybe there are others that could benefit from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttexasdiver
My family and I are heading to Galveston for a week starting June 27...... Which topwaters, suspending and soft plastics .....also which colors would you recommend for fishing in the surf and maybe around the jetties......I am trying to put together some tackle before heading down.
Thanks for your help,
James
James... anything that will catch bass will catch trout and reds. Small spooks or other walk the dog lures are great. If you don't have one, get a bone or clown spook junior for your topwater. If you have some Zara spooks feel free to use them as well. I've caught trout and reds on all bass colors as well as the leopard frog pattern on those spooks. Crome, bones, oakie shad, rainbow trout ... all good. even black if its cloudy. If you have to splurge get a Chartreuse Skitter walk, but really the above will get er' done.

Plastics.. 1/8th oz jig heads should be sufficient. You can also try drop shotting as well if you like that method.. it's slowly catching on in the flats, surf, and jetties. Colors of plastics.. really doesn't matter as much as you'd think. Any natural color (baitfish coloration) Zoom or Bass Assasin or other freshwater jerkbait will do the trick just fine. You may already have some. Examples but not limited to the following... any pearl base laminate, bone, silvers, gold, or any combination of those. Even creame worms in pink, natural, and while will get er' done to the surprise of many seasoned surf fisherman. Other colors are olives, pumpkin seed, and again black in dirty water. if you want to splurge, kelly wigglers and tidal surge are super tough and will hold up quite a bit better. Add a chartreuse tail onto any of those colors and get to it.

Suspending twitch baits like smithwick rogues can work or you can purchase a Mirrolure mirrodine or Catch 5 and they will cast a little better.

Focus on reading the surf (google - reading surf current and structure). Then use the info in our 'Find the fish catch a limit dvd' to "read the water. Even a move of a 100 feet could make all the difference if you're reading the water and the surf current. That should be primary, lure selection is secondary. Don't get caught up in changing baits and colors, that's secondary and almost doesn't matter if you are reading the surf and the water looking for the sign and getting into high percentage water. It'll either be top or plastic or suspending and that should be the only lure question as you find the right conditions. Not bad to have a Gold or silver spoon in case the wind is up.

Hope that helps.
Tobin
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
sharkchum
If you ain't first your last

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Great information Tobin, he sent me a message also, this was my reply, maybe it can help others. Quote:

The only topwater's I like to throw are Skitterwalk's, my favorite is the speckled trout color followed by bone, pink,and chartreuse. For slow sinkers I use mirodine XL's and softdine XL's, moss green back with silver sides, pink, or chartreuse. For soft plastics I prefer paddle tails, and brand, Saltwater Assassin, Slayer, Norton, TTF, ect. Favorite colors are chicken on a chain, chartreuse,opening night, and Texas roach if the water is dirty.
sharkchum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #3
easttexasdiver
Registered Users-pm+

easttexasdiver is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thank you very much for the info......you have been a great help.
easttexasdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Flounder Face
southern paralichthys lethostigma

Flounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to Pirate
Well done guys. You know, there are a lot of jokes and stuff that fill the threads on this site, and jokes are appreciated on any thread IMHO, but there is a lot of info on those threads too. And I have personally reached out to some of the more experienced on here for advice, usually get the same well formulated responses as are posted here on this thread. Greens and thanks.
Flounder Face is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder Face View Post
And I have personally reached out to some of the more experienced on here for advice, usually get the same well formulated responses as are posted here on this thread. Greens and thanks.
Thanks flounder face... but you're not getting my Bud Light ;-)
Old 06-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
Red3Fish
Registered Users-pm+

Red3Fish has disabled reputation
When RF and trout are hungry and feeding, they will hit nearly anything that is in the water. That being said, there is that one day, your buddy is throwing a tout tail with one black spot .375" from the tail, on the right side, and you are throwing exactly the same thing with the spot .5" from the tail, and working it exactly like him. He catches and you don't!!

I have no explanation...but it happens! LOL That is why there are so many lure manufacturers.

Later
R3F
Red3Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Spec-Rig.006
Trap AF ...

Spec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to PirateSpec-Rig.006 has been promoted to Pirate
Tobin ... let's go fishing! I'll bring the strawberry-ritas and give you a 110% guarantee you'll think I'm bat**** nuts when we're done!
Spec-Rig.006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message