Thanks to the VA - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Good Old Boys Hunting and Fishing Club
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
MikeS2942
Get-R-Dun

MikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks to the VA

My BIL is a vet and homeless, I have met him only a couple of times since he lived out of state he also is on a 40% disability with the VA. Here is the long story

My BIL lived in Roswell with his mother until my MIL moved away. he has a slight mental disorder so it is hard to help him sometimes. This past spring he had a bypass and my wife had been trying to get him housing in Roswell for a long time but met with all kinds of resistance After a Quadruple bypass the VA put him back on the streets on a walker, which he is having problems with this leg so he can get around.

New Year eve after a long time of prayer to get him help, my doorbell rang and there he was. We let him into our home, showered him, gave him clothes. He did not want to sleep inside so he slept in his truck in front of my house. We took him to the office to stay and bought him a grill and means to cook so that he can have a warm meal. We took him food and more clothes and gave him electricity to stay warm.

Tuesday my wife got on the phone to try to get him housing, after a long and thought-out process we thought it might be better to get him a travel trailer to live in while we work on the housing. We looked at the FEMA trailers but I really thought they wanted too much money for them. I have looked at other options and am still looking. I want to tell you, it is hard to find housing for someone in these days and times.

My wife continued to call so she started back over, calling the VA where she originally started, he talked to a gentleman ho had another lady contact us. Shortly she called and this started the whole process. (here are my brownie points to the VA) We met her at the VA to register him yesterday, then we went over to 1418 Preston to start his housing voucher. This sweet lady went from the VA to Preston to walk us through the system.

He has to return to the VA Friday to get screenings and back to Preston Monday for other things and tests again at the VA. The system in place currently will help him get a housing voucher but it may take up to 90-days.

My hat is off to the VA for helping those on the street, if it weren't for the VA I am not sure where he would be. Thanks to the sweet lady that help him so well, she went out of her way and it made me proud to be an American. I cant remember when someone helped a person or persons in that way, its been a long time. I will only ask my BIL to pay it forward and help others.

If it were not for here we would still be on the phone trying to get help. Now the only thing we need to do i look for him something to get him off the street until the voucher.

Hat Off!!
MikeS2942 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Tortuga
El Viejo

Tortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to Pirate
My hat is off to you and your family, Mike.. Lotsa folks would have just sent him on his way on his own...

The VA really does do a lot of good for a lot of Vets with some real problems...

Kudos to you...and the VA....
Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
MikeS2942
Get-R-Dun

MikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to PirateMikeS2942 has been promoted to Pirate
We found a travel trailer today and are moving it in shortly. This will only be temporary until they get him his voucher. Now I'll get some guys over to set up the electrical, water, and sewage.

Also thanks to my good friend for selling this to us.

Closer than ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
State_Vet
AKA "STUMPY"

State_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to Pirate
Homelessness among veterans is a huge problem, its good to see one getting the care they deserve. My hats off to you for helping him out! Shoot me your email in a PM and his location and I'll send you some additional resources that may be able to help.
State_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
MikeS2942
Get-R-Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by State_Vet View Post
Homelessness among veterans is a huge problem, its good to see one getting the care they deserve. My hats off to you for helping him out! Shoot me your email in a PM and his location and I'll send you some additional resources that may be able to help.
PM Sent
Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
State_Vet
AKA "STUMPY"

State_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to PirateState_Vet has been promoted to Pirate
Waiting on some contact info from some people in your area, as soon as I get it I'll forward it to you
State_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Tortuga
El Viejo

Tortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to PirateTortuga has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS2942 View Post
PM Sent
Quote:
Originally Posted by State_Vet View Post
Waiting on some contact info from some people in your area, as soon as I get it I'll forward it to you
Yore in good hands with 'Stumpy', Mike.. Helping folks out is what he does best...especially Vets.....
Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
mywifeshusband
Registered Users-pm+

mywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Piratemywifeshusband has been promoted to Pirate
Stumpy has a way of helping out this I know on a different level. Your in good hands with you BIL and bless you to for what you are doing just remember to pass it on to others. Beau
mywifeshusband is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message