Do I need to go big - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
RiversideFun
Registered Users-pm+

RiversideFun is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Diesel is the only way to go, especially if going up any hills. The thing most people never calculate is how much junk you fill the travel trailer with . Water weighs 63 pounds a square foot, so ice, fresh water, holding tanks alone add a lot of weight , now add guns ammo beer, food, tools, soda, food, and before you realize what happened you got 2000 pounds of stuff .
RiversideFun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSST View Post
Agree 100%, but not for a trip to Vegas and back, plus the other 15 trips a year. That's lots of towing!
Yup.... Been out to Vegas. I don't think I'd enjoy hauling that rig through the mountains with a gas motor.

It'll do it, but it'd be much more enjoyable and easier with a diesel. It wouldn't break a sweat.

Better yet.. step your game up to a Duramax/Allison
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #13
pilar
El jefe

pilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Piratepilar has been promoted to Pirate
With a gasser you are probably looking @ 7-10 mpg that is lots of stops other than that
I wouldn’t think twice about a 6.2 being capable
But a diesel would surely be less stressful mentally and physically if you get heavy headwinds
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
flapjack
Registered Users-pm+

flapjack has disabled reputation
Get the 1 ton because you just never know. Or, if you don't mind the constant up and down shifting go with the gas, if you want a constant rpm and constant gear get the diesel. 10k lbs is not much for a diesel but a lot for a gasser. If you decide to get a bigger trailer (and most do at some point) then you're already set up for it with the 1 ton deez.
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #15
PassingThru
Registered Users-pm+

PassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to PiratePassingThru has been promoted to Pirate
Appreciate all of the comments. I just downsized from a 40 motorhome to the 28.5RSTS Jayco fifth wheel. I do believe this will be my final RV. Purchased a 2017 F250 Lariat, 6.2L, 4X4 for the tow vehicle. Compared to my Ford Edge and other 1/2 ton trucks I'm previously own, this is a beast from my view. To quote the President, "This is huge."
PassingThru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #16
Picudo Azul
Registered Users-pm+

Picudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to PiratePicudo Azul has been promoted to Pirate
Congratulations. Looks like a good choice and bet you’ll be real happy. Although I Drive a Dodge 350 a f250 is a workhorse. Should be no problem at all towing and stopping. The stopping part is important and hard to achieve with a undersized vehicle. Best of luck
Picudo Azul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #17
RyHolub34
Registered Users-pm+

RyHolub34 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)

Do yourself a favor and get the diesel and never look back. It will eliminate the headaches. I tow my 40ft fifth wheel with ease. A dually wouldn’t be necessary as I got out of mine and went back to the single wheel. These new fords do everything with ease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyHolub34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #18
fishin shallow
Registered Users-pm+

fishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Piratefishin shallow has been promoted to Pirate
Don't only look at the weight of the trailer but you must also consider everything you will be packing. It all adds up pretty quick.
fishin shallow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #19
Fish to Hunt
Registered Users-pm+

Fish to Hunt is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
F450!!!!!!! Enough said
Fish to Hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #20
TheKodiak
Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast...

TheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerTheKodiak has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I too was shopping for a more efficient tow vehicle for our 32' bumper pull. I initially started looking for a 3500 SRW, and I couldn't decide between a gasser or a diesel either. I felt the 3500 was too much, but I didn't have to question whether or not my vehicle could tow anything safely. Plus the prices are basically the same. Like the saying goes: It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Of course, the irony is I ended up with a 2500. No 3500's in the style I could live with.
TheKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message