Advice Needed: Trailor Right Turn Signal Not Working - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
smith04
Registered Users-pm+

smith04 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Advice Needed: Trailor Right Turn Signal Not Working

About September 2017 I was having trouble with my trailer lights so had the entire trailer rewired by McClain Trailers in Houston. When they were finished, I hooked the trailer up to my truck and checked the lights. The right turn signal (and right emergency blinking light) did not work. The service technician hooked it up to their test machine, which was battery powered, up and the right turn signal did not work. They told me it must be the truck's problem.

I replaced right turn signal relay on my truck but that still did not solve the problem. I took my truck to my mechanic who tested it and said the truck was not the problem. I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier.

I then started watching hours of YouTube videos to identify and solve the problem. I learned how to use a multi-meter to test my truck outlet and it seemed to be correct.

I also saw a tester to check the truck outlet on YouTube and bought one (http://www.amazon.com/IIT-16687-Blad...w+hitch+tester). The truck checked out OK.

I did all of the above test on the 7 pin truck outlet and with a 7 pin to 4 prong adapter. All passed.

I have since had three other trucks hooked up to my boat and the right turn signal on the trailer always worked. The last of the 3 times was today at a reputable boat sales and service shop where I always get service work done. They too were stumped.

So I still don't know the source of the problem. Any ideas? Anyone know of an expert who can help me?

Advice appreciated.

smith04
smith04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
If the truck connector checks out with the meter, I can only think that the trailer plug connector does not fit well into your truck plug connector yet it does to other trucks.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2018, 07:30 AM
Knot Kidding
This message has been deleted by Knot Kidding.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Knot Kidding
I Member Like It Was Yesterday

Knot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to PirateKnot Kidding has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB II View Post
If the truck connector checks out with the meter, I can only think that the trailer plug connector does not fit well into your truck plug connector yet it does to other trucks.
I have this issue on a regular basis as I haul several other trailers. If your using a flat 4 plug...then get a 7 to 4 pin adapter and try that plug. Sometime have to move (or bend) the tabs on my 7 pin to get everything to work. I can make it work if it's in font of me...Cypress!
Knot Kidding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
Hooked
Registered Users-pm+

Hooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to Pirate
He contacted SGREM who fixed it for him. Sounds like same situation you have had KK. See near the end of this thread over in the boating forum....... https://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/s....php?t=2607931
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message