Trailer Registration Renewal - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
aclavett
Registered Users-pm+

aclavett is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Trailer Registration Renewal

Im trying to renew my trailer registration, and it looks like i need to get my trailer inspected first...

I havent lived in TX that long, so Im a little unfamiliar with the process. and I have a few questions.

1. Can i just take my trailer to any of the places where you can get a vehicle state inspection from and have them do it there?

2. I have one side light out, but my brake/blinker and running lights all work, will it still pass inspection, or do i have to get the side yellow light repaired first?

3. Once i do get my inspection, can i then renew online so i dont have to wait in the long lines at the DPS?
aclavett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Reloading
watching

Reloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to PirateReloading has been promoted to Pirate
1 - yes

2 - all lights must work

3 - registration renewals are not done at DPS, local tax assessors office/courthouse.
Reloading is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
aclavett
Registered Users-pm+

aclavett is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Great Thanks for the info!
aclavett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Supergas

Supergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to PirateSupergas has been promoted to Pirate
Idea New Trailer Inspection Weight

In case you do not know, the trailer inspection only applies to those over 7500 lbs.
If this is a boat trailer, it probably does not fall over the new limit..

The regulatory load for many boat and trailer owners just got lighter.

Gov. Greg Abbott on Monday, June 12, 2017 signed SB 1001, sponsored by State Sen. Larry Taylor, R-Friendswood, which increases the maximum gross weight for required trailer inspections to 7,500 pounds, from 4,500 pounds.

While irrelevant to many Texans, the change is a big deal to some. Since 2015, when the state linked vehicle inspections with registration, many small trailer and boat owners who fell between the 4,500 pound limit expressed confusion about the rules. Many were not getting trailers inspected before their registration got stuck in limbo by the change.

To clear things up, Taylor – who represents Houston suburbs near Galveston Bay where boating is popular – said he worked with the industry and owners to find a higher weight limit so large trailers are inspected but most boaters and small trailer owners aren’t swept up in the system.

Gotta pay attention to law changes around here

Supergas
Supergas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Txredfish
Registered Users-pm+

Txredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to PirateTxredfish has been promoted to Pirate
The problem that I ran into is that not all auto inspection stations will perform trailer inspections or they have certain times to bring it in. The other issue I found was room or space to pull trailer into for inspection. You should call the inspection station first to find out the above. A real pain in the butt for me because I have to unhook from house connections, change tow hitches and hook up again. Inspection only takes about 15 minutes, but due to hooking up and unhooking, etc it takes me about 3 hours. As another poster has said it is only required if gross weight over 7500 lbs. My trailer gross weight is 7800 lbs.
Txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
Raptured
Registered Users-pm+

Raptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to Pirate
My 28ft travel trailer is just over 4500lbs and I'm told by the Tax Assessors Office it is required to be inspected. I also have received the renewal every year since 2015 indicating anything over 4500 requires an inspection before registration can be renewed. There are 16 tax offices in harris county to get the registration, the 3 busiest are Chimney Rock, Clay Road and one in Cypress. It is inconvinent for the inspection, be sure the V.I.N. number can been seen/read by the inspector. I've used 3 different stations so far and they all just did a walk around while you work the lights.
Raptured is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
BrandonH
Registered Users-pm+

BrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to PirateBrandonH has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptured View Post
My 28ft travel trailer is just over 4500lbs and I'm told by the Tax Assessors Office it is required to be inspected. I also have received the renewal every year since 2015 indicating anything over 4500 requires an inspection before registration can be renewed. There are 16 tax offices in harris county to get the registration, the 3 busiest are Chimney Rock, Clay Road and one in Cypress. It is inconvinent for the inspection, be sure the V.I.N. number can been seen/read by the inspector. I've used 3 different stations so far and they all just did a walk around while you work the lights.
As mentioned above the 4500 limit was raised to 7500 last year, so you shouldn't need an inspection.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Looks like you have answers for 1 and 2. For 3 you can renew online but keep in mind it takes some time for your inspection to get entered into the computer system which is how it is verified. I am sure it gets done quicker but they suggest 30 days. You can take the inspection paper work with you to the local tax office and get it all done within the same day if necessary.
bwguardian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
Raptured
Registered Users-pm+

Raptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to PirateRaptured has been promoted to Pirate
Just got my renewal paperwork in the mail and I'm under the new limits, no inspection required for me this year! I'm glad they changed it, as mentioned it was a hassle to hook up and find a place that would and could accommodate the lengths!
Raptured is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message