4 pound + 1015 onion - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Rubberback
Raiser of BOB White Quail

Rubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
What a blessing these past three days have been...beautiful sunshine.

Mine will go into the storage shed, well dried, this evening. Looks like we made another year, RB.
Just glad I got onions this year. I couldn't plant them last year.
How is your corn doing? I didn't plant much but the plants are looking good.
Rubberback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #12
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
First planting April 1 really struggled to germinate but I think it set enough to have some good eating.

Second planting May 1 much better stand of young plants should be a bumper crop.

Third planting intended for June 1.
Meadowlark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #13
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
2019 Onion Harvest

Harvested, dried, tops removed, and placed in storage. The onions had a high moisture content but hopefully after 4 days of drying in full sun they will provide delicious sweet 1015 onions until the next crop comes in.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #14
tiberiuswade1
Registered Users-pm+

tiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnertiberiuswade1 has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
That looks like a mighty fine crop, RB.

Pulling the rest of mine today and hoping for at least two days of sunshine. They are really wet so long term storage on my crop is a concern.
Wow! Really like those onions, fellas when is best time to plant them? Can they be planted in raised containers, beds. Have 10x10 raised garden now with eggplants, peas, peppers, and asparagus.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
tiberiuswade1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #15
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiuswade1 View Post
Wow! Really like those onions, fellas when is best time to plant them? Can they be planted in raised containers, beds. Have 10x10 raised garden now with eggplants, peas, peppers, and asparagus.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the comments Tiberiuswade.

The best time to plant 1015 onions is in the fall just as soon as the sets hit the local feed stores. They are all dug pretty much at the same time in the valley and shipped to stores all through Texas. Plant them as soon as they are available which is usually mid-Nov.

Yes, raised containers/beds should work fine. They take very little care and grow through winter and harvest in May.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #16
jm423
Registered Users-pm+

jm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Pirate
Want to pull mine, but all the weather folks say is scattered or isolated t-storms, then one-two days partly cloudy. Think I will wait till next week and pull them if don't have to do it in the rain!
jm423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
pick44
Registered Users-pm+

pick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Pirate
Had two bad years for onions. Lost nearly 90% this year. Will buy from different producer next year. Perhaps that will help. The blyth was noticeable on tips when I got them. Used the spary recommended and the fertilizer. Nothing worked.

Question: What fertilizer are you guys using and how often?
pick44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #18
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick44 View Post
Question: What fertilizer are you guys using and how often?
I like to put out bone meal in the rows well before planting the sets...after that I use fish emulsion monthly in dormancy and every two weeks in growing season. Too much fertilizer in growing season can encourage bolting so go easy with whatever you use.

My understanding is that all the 1015 sets come from the valley so they are pretty much the same regardless of supplier. Its important to plant on raised beds/rows especially in a wet year like we just had. Too much water smothers the onions. I've never sprayed an onion in my entire life...if they get tolerable moisture and light fertilizer they will be fine.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #19
Rubberback
Raiser of BOB White Quail

Rubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to PirateRubberback has been promoted to Pirate
This year I put chicken poop on top of all the rows. Didn't till it in and planted the onions as deep as my fore finger would go in the ground. I then used a mixture of 2 tablespoons of fish emulsion with a gallon of water and poured it on the onions.
Only did this a few times , usually I just use FE every 3 or 4 weeks. Then when they start bulbing I do a side of bird poop around the onions.
A good way to fertilize plants is by watching the plants. Watch for growth and color of the plants. Are the leaves yellow etc.
JMO but I really think onions grow better in sandy loam. Honestly I think almost all veggies grow better in sand.
Only problem is sand doesn't retain nutrients very long so you will have to amend the dirt often.
Rubberback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message