Snagged a 120 pound tarpon yesterday - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Texas Tarpon
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
Snagged a 120 pound tarpon yesterday

I'm in Florida and we were drift fishing for trout yesterday, and noticed this quiet pod of big dorsal fins and tails, these tarpon were milling around on something in only six feet of darkish water. Fired off a green Dixie Jet spoon, since the distance was 30 yards. Instant hookup, so I cranked the motor and we began to follow. Had to do it quickly, with 12 pound line disappearing off the reel. The fish was big, and eventually gulped air as close as five feet away. For the first half hour, two other fish were with him, also gulping air. They headed off the flats straight to the channel, and then out into the Gulf. My fish changed directions countless times, zipping under the boat, while I drove the jonboat and kept the rod bent double. Lots of fancy boatwork, drag adjusting, throttle work, and steering. That boat turns on a dime, fortunately. We must have looked pretty weird towards the end, changing direction every 20-30 yards, spinning around, etc. But few boats were out there on a Friday.

After more than an hour, we'd spotted the green spoon snagged under a scale near the dorsal fin. I realized there is no way to pull a more than 6-foot tarpon sideway with 12-pound line, and we were burning up the day, so I gripped the spool and broke him off at the short 30-pound fluro leader knot. (No swivel). That fish had a massive tail. The older gent with me never could get a picture of the tarpon gulping air, with his cell phone.

So, I'm home today (missing the Saturday crowd) checking my pre-rigged tarpon leaders and hooks. Time to carry them in the boat. Will return to that area this coming Wednesday with the wife, she has sharp eyes for rolling fish. And with a bigger rod. We'll use the push pole to get closer.
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
Bill C
Registered Users-pm+

Bill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to Pirate
Cool story. That had to be fun.

Good luck this season.
Bill C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
Thestork
Registered Users-pm+

Thestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Just got back from the keys. Chased tarpon with flies, the wife jumped one, pretty sure I won't be doing that by myself anymore.
Attached Images

Thestork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
Not mentioning Florida in the title is just mean.
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
ROBOWADER
Registered Users-pm+

ROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to Pirate
How do you know it the weight if you never boated it and put it on a scale?
ROBOWADER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
Not putting a tarpon on a scale...If they're over six feet and really thick, it's okay to call them 120 pounds or so. Went back there today and looked for them, but these weekly storms don't help. This time the water was real dark. Did have a big manatee come up to the boat within two feet of me, though. I stuck a water jug underwater, but he was too shy to drink from it. Sometimes they drink from water hoses at the marinas.
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
Scott A
Registered Users-pm+

Scott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthappy View Post
Did have a big manatee come up to the boat within two feet of me, though. I stuck a water jug underwater, but he was too shy to drink from it.

Might not want to admit that - just saying. https://myfwc.com/conservation/you-c...dlife/manatee/
Scott A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
ROBOWADER
Registered Users-pm+

ROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to PirateROBOWADER has been promoted to Pirate
Understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthappy View Post
Not putting a tarpon on a scale...If they're over six feet and really thick, it's okay to call them 120 pounds or so. Went back there today and looked for them, but these weekly storms don't help. This time the water was real dark. Did have a big manatee come up to the boat within two feet of me, though. I stuck a water jug underwater, but he was too shy to drink from it. Sometimes they drink from water hoses at the marinas.
ROBOWADER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
Scott A
Registered Users-pm+

Scott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to PirateScott A has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBOWADER View Post

This is pretty accurate if you can get a length and girth to it.

http://www.itarpon.org/how-much-does-it-weigh-.html
Scott A is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #10
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBOWADER View Post
tarpon are rarely intentionally killed/weighed. measurements like Scott referred to, are how tarpon weighs are estimated(very accurate). a 150 pound fish is a very old fish, so not wise to kill them.

https://www.tarponfish.com/tarpon-facts/
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message