2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Trout Patties (bettter than crabcakes!)

59K views 51 replies 40 participants last post by  EIGHTSKATE 
#1 ·
Hello! I thought you guys might like to try these! We use trout or hybrid-striped bass. Probably could use any fish you catch!

Best Ever Trout Patties
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 tsp salt (or less if you use a salty- cajun seasoning)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
*1 good-sized trout (no idea how much to tell ya, I just
cook what they bring me) *baked, deboned, and flaked
1 Tb flour
1 cup water (dash of hotsauce added)
20 Club crackers (the Keebler "Club" crackers are key, here)
1 cup dried bread crumbs
1 Tb Emeril's rustic rub or other cajun seasoning
1/4 cup veggie oil

- Chop all veggies tiny
- Heat butter in skillet over med-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, celery, salt, and cayenne. Cook 7-8 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Add the trout and mix all together.
-Dissolve flour into water and hotsauce. Stir into skillet. Stir for ~4 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat and cool.
- Crumble crackers and add to cooled mixture. Form into patties (add more cracker crumbs if too "wet" to form into patties)
- To the breadcrumbs, add the rustic rub or other seasoning. Coat the patties with this.
- Heat oil in skillet. Pan-fry patties ~3 minutes on each side or until browned. (we like ours pretty dang brown and "crunchy" on the outside)
- Let patties sit on paper towel to drain.
These are great for several days. Make them hotter with more hotsauce and seasoning. SOOOO good!

Hope you enjoy this. Nice to meet you guys!
http://www.stubbysteve.com (we'd love for you to check out our fishing lure!)

See less See more
#31 ·
Made these the other day using a flounder I caught that day, man just the boiled flounder meat plain jane was delicious.. But they were awesome!! Will def make again. FYI, one 16 inche flounder made 3 nice size cakes.

I did add an egg and a couple tablespoons of milk that I mixed up to the mix to help bind a little (not saying it needed it, I just dont make stuff like this without it).

#32 ·
Made this tonight with trout and it was outstanding!! Will definitely be making it again.

About the only thing different I did was added more crackers than it called for, and an egg. Other than that, I was pretty much by the recipe.

Tip: Rather than chopping veggies I just bought frozen chopped bell pepper, onion and celery mix. Definitely shortened prep time.

#33 ·
What took ya so long.. lol Tip back.. dont use no frozen veggies.. Fresh are too easy to come by and they are cheeeeep where i shop. Roast em for even a more enhanced flavor.. There are choppers for less than $ 20 that will cut your prep time..

Feech cakes are awesome.. Thanks for bringing the thread back .... TXpalerider !

#43 ·
For those of yall that havent made these yet, do yourself a favor and make about twice as many as you think you will eat. They are freaking amazing! I am no chef by any stretch of the imagination but these cakes were some of the best fish i have eaten, and i am a guy that puts down some fish. I used 5 decent sized fillets and doubled what the recipe called for, added a bit more flour, and got 4 good sized patties.

Thank you Steve :brew2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.