Speaking of Tomatoes... - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #1
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Speaking of Tomatoes...

So what’s everybody’s favorite types?

I haven’t grown a tremendous variety. Celebrity seems to be very reliable with a nice sized, juicy tomato with good flavor. I like Cherokee purple, but it isn’t as productive as Celebrity. I’ve tried some others, but nothing particularly stands out from memory. Carmelo did well for me years ago, but I haven’t grown it in a long time.

Any sleepers out there?
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
T-Muney
Registered Users-pm+

T-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to PirateT-Muney has been promoted to Pirate
Juliet and sweet 100 cherry.
T-Muney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
Mattsfishin
Registered Users-pm+

Mattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to PirateMattsfishin has been promoted to Pirate
I don't have a lot of space and now only grow cherry tomatoes. Super sweet 100. They seem to produce all summer for me. Now the quantity drops later in the summer but I am still picking. If I can not get super sweet 100 I will get sweet 100. Sweet 100 seems to taste better but the super sweet takes the Texas heat better.
Mattsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
I have four basic favorite types each one with their purpose:

1) The Romas for canning...best there is

2)Parks Whopper for fresh eating....big juicy succulent tomatoes that cry out for a salt shaker

3) Heatmaster for continuous production through summer. Give it some afternoon shade and it will set fruit all the way into Sept.

4) Cherry tomatoes....for snacks while working out in the garden.

Then there's the "Cat's Meow" my secret surprise for the little kids who love to come by to find them
Attached Images

Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
WildThings
Registered Users-pm+

WildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to Pirate
I don't have a lot of experience but Celebrities and Big Boys have worked for me
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
jm423
Registered Users-pm+

jm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Pirate
Been bad year for me, only ones really doing anything are Juliet and Roma. Not sure I won't stay with just those two in future. But still want to try Parks Whopper, health issues precluded starting seed this season.
jm423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
Dick Hanks
Pike

Dick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to PirateDick Hanks has been promoted to Pirate
These are only my thoughts..... not necessarily fact.

Seems like in any given year, the weather conditions, sunlight exposure, heat, moisture in the ground (or as a negative... on the leaves) have sooo much influence in how a tomato plant will preform. These variables won't always be the same in following years. Sadly, we (and I do mean me too) often judge a tomatoes potential performance on 1 year's results.

The one solid baseline that you have to work on in Texas is.... it's gonna get HOT!

If you have the space, I like Lark's approach. He is using 4 varieties to cover the known, and the unknown variables. Ideally, I always like to have an additional 1 or 2 varieties (maybe only 1 plant of each) that are new to me, or showed potential in previous years but didn't quite make the "A" list.

I'd give my varieties, but my conditions are so different from Texas, they would be irrelevant, and could possibly lead you down a bad path for Texas.

Last edited by Dick Hanks; 06-12-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Dick Hanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #8
POC Fishin' Gal
Registered Users-pm+

POC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to PiratePOC Fishin' Gal has been promoted to Pirate
unfortunately we were started out on celebrities in the 70's when I started gardening, so to us nothing else tastes like a "proper" tomato. If I can't find them, I'll wait 'til the garden shops get them.
POC Fishin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #9
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Celebrity is so reliable here right on the coast. Seems like it can set fruit better than most and not run into disease issues. They are sort of my can’t fail tomato, I know I’m likely to get good production of really tasty, juicy tomatoes. My neighbor typically only grows celebrity and Roma. He might put in 18 celebrities and end up with more tomatoes than he knows what to do with.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #10
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Hanks View Post
These are only my thoughts..... not necessarily fact.

Seems like in any given year, the weather conditions, sunlight exposure, heat, moisture in the ground (or as a negative... on the leaves) have sooo much influence in how a tomato plant will preform. These variables won't always be the same in following years. Sadly, we (and I do mean me too) often judge a tomatoes potential performance on 1 year's results.

The one solid baseline that you have to work on in Texas is.... it's gonna get HOT!

If you have the space, I like Lark's approach. He is using 4 varieties to cover the known, and the unknown variables. Ideally, I always like to have an additional 1 or 2 varieties (maybe only 1 plant of each) that are new to me, or showed potential in previous years but didn't quite make the "A" list.

I'd give my varieties, but my conditions are so different from Texas, they would be irrelevant, and could possibly lead you down a bad path for Texas.
I like this philosophy. Right now, I have a total of eight plants, six varieties. 3 Celebrities, one Cherokee purple, one golden jubilee, one Roma, one red grape, one small yellow pear. That keeps my wife and I and my folks in fresh tomatoes.

I like the golden jubilee flavor, my folks really like it, but it wasn’t a big producer. Cherokee purple has a flavor I like and does alright in the production department the two or three times I’ve grown it.

I just planted some Carmelo tomato seeds for a fall production. That’s one I grew years ago that did really well in the fall.

I think I’ll keep my eyes open for some hidden gems for future plantings.