2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Louisiana Limits Time to Fill the freezer

18K views 89 replies 22 participants last post by  Captain Marty 
#1 ·
Louisiana Limits Guide Service
Captain Marty Matocha
(713)703-1431 email: mm3223@earthlink.net

If you like to fish and like to eat fish,now is the time to come to Sabine Lake to fill your freezer.

The redfish are biting and we are catching a few flounders.

Let's go fishing!!

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Some people have no concept for conservation of marine resources. It doesn't even register. People fill their freezers, lose electricity, and then have to dump their fish in a landfill. Or the nearest canal. And we're supposed to wink and look the other way. Fishing guides should be educating the public about local fish populations, not filling freezers.

#18 ·
Yup...Glad that they are protecting them here in Texas when they are especially vunerable...The Lagasse & Prudhomme blackened redfish craze almost decimated the population before they got a handle on that...Possibly what he was referring to is that most guides will be duck hunting come November instead of fishing

#24 ·
limits

if you have a problem with limits, don't blame the fisherman, blame the state for letting guides run multiple trips a day using croaker. and also not regulating the number of guides on a bay system. and not bothering to protect fish when mother nature stacks them in one spot, fish in a barrel. i could go on and on. that's my gripe. it's the equivalent of walking past a dollar to pick up a penny. it won't happen, but if croaker were outlawed, our fishery would go gangbusters. it doesn't take a rocket scientist (even tho i was one for 10 years) to figure out that there is indeed a finite number of trout. you can't have 3 gazillion guides in 3 gallons of water, and not expect negative results. so now we, the average Joe fisherman, has to suffer the five fish consequences. i may just kill my ten for picture purposes only, then throw them back. really doesn't matter, nobody really gives a dame. :texasflag

#25 ·
if you have a problem with limits, don't blame the fisherman, blame the state for letting guides run multiple trips a day using croaker. and also not regulating the number of guides on a bay system. and not bothering to protect fish when mother nature stacks them in one spot, fish in a barrel. i could go on and on. that's my gripe. it's the equivalent of walking past a dollar to pick up a penny. it won't happen, but if croaker were outlawed, our fishery would go gangbusters. it doesn't take a rocket scientist (even tho i was one for 10 years) to figure out that there is indeed a finite number of trout. you can't have 3 gazillion guides in 3 gallons of water, and not expect negative results. so now we, the average Joe fisherman, has to suffer the five fish consequences. i may just kill my ten for picture purposes only, then throw them back. really doesn't matter, nobody really gives a dame. :texasflag
with the the coming 5 fish limit on spotted weakfish,through mis-management,Joe troutcatcher will simply resort to high grading...as a larger is caught the smaller goes over the side ...dead
unreasonable government makes us do it.....

#26 ·
I have fished numerous times with Capt. Marty. He runs a first class business and great guy. I am looking now to fishing again with him and fill my freezer. I have been with other guides who do nothing but take you boat riding and expect you to pay full price. With Capt. Marty YOU CATCH FISH. Sounds like a lot are jealous that Capt Marty is truly the fish whisper. If you want fish, book Capt. Marty. :cheers:

#34 ·
I think if people are honest , High Grading goes on an awful lot . The whole point in this conversation to me is : Guides will have to lower prices or go out of business as the average "Joe" is not going to pay what amounts to $40 or 50 a lb for saltwater fish just for the experience.

#35 ·
Lower their prices or go out of business?

Well, we heard the same thing on the Lower Coast in 2007 and again on the Middle Coast in 2014 and it never happened. In fact, what occurred was the exact opposite. Fisheries rebounded and more people than ever jammed boat launches and parking areas. Lodging/fishing guide operations expanded to meet the demand and new guides sprang from the bushes.

Now I certainly get the whole Louisiana liberal limits thing that complicates management of border waters, but Louisiana has its own set of management puzzles to solve as their trout fishery continues a sharply declining trend of six or seven years. LDWF describes it as over-fished and over-fishing is continuing. The handwriting is on the wall...fifteen trout at twelve inches minimum length will soon fade into the sunset in southwest Louisiana.

I'm not saying they will mirror Texas trout regulations but big changes are coming. When this happens everything will seek a new normal, fish will become larger and more plentiful on average, fishermen will be happy after they get over the shock, and guides will continue taking anglers fishing.

#37 ·
Lower their prices or go out of business?

Well, we heard the same thing on the Lower Coast in 2007 and again on the Middle Coast in 2014 and it never happened. In fact, what occurred was the exact opposite. Fisheries rebounded and more people than ever jammed boat launches and parking areas. Lodging/fishing guide operations expanded to meet the demand and new guides sprang from the bushes.

Now I certainly get the whole Louisiana liberal limits thing that complicates management of border waters, but Louisiana has its own set of management puzzles to solve as their trout fishery continues a sharply declining trend of six or seven years. LDWF describes it as over-fished and over-fishing is continuing. The handwriting is on the wall...fifteen trout at twelve inches minimum length will soon fade into the sunset in southwest Louisiana.

I'm not saying they will mirror Texas trout regulations but big changes are coming. When this happens everything will seek a new normal, fish will become larger and more plentiful on average, fishermen will be happy after they get over the shock, and guides will continue taking anglers fishing.
You forgot to mention that the "over fishing" is by Texans fishing out of state . Wonder Why that is ?

#38 ·
Isn't there a whole section called "Conservation Crossfire/Fisheries Issues" to discuss what you think the regulations should be?

Why is all this chatter added to this fishing report? Yall want to talk about your own personal limits or what you think this state and states you don't live in should do, why not take it all down there? All this **** is what ruined the reports previously. Jr game wardens and people who think we should all only be allowed to catch as many fish as they "feel" we should. When seeing people filling the freezer hurts your feelings you should start a new threat in your safe place.

Glad to hear Marty is catching some fish, I might have to take a trip that way and check it out for myself.

#43 · (Edited)
I think Capt. Marty is based in Texas not LA. I may be mistaken but I believe that while Capt. Marty is licensed to guide in LA, he is actually based in Texas. The question I would ask is are those fish caught in LA and the pictures at cleaning table taken in LA?

I pretty sure that the rules don't allow for a LA limit to be taken or landed in Texas waters.

Edit: Yep I just found this on the TPWD web site. Seems that you can fish either side with either license. The catch is you have to abide by the rules of the State of Texas if you land the fish in the State of Texas. You can catch em in LA but when you cross back into Texas waters they have to be Texas legal. So I guess if you want to keep a LA limit you would need a LA license and land the fish in LA.

Am interpreting that correctly?

Texas-Louisiana
Residents of either state, who are properly licensed in their state (or are exempt because of age), or persons who hold valid non-resident fishing licenses issued by either state may fish in any portion of the lakes and rivers forming a common boundary between Louisiana and Texas inland from a line across Sabine Pass between Texas Point and Louisiana Point. Fish landed in Texas must adhere to the Texas bag and length limits.

#45 · (Edited)
Transportation fish in Texas

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...rules-regulations/general-fishing-regulations

It is unlawful to import a wildlife or aquatic resource into this state or possess a resource taken outside this state unless:

the person possesses a valid hunting, fishing, or other applicable license, endorsement, tag, permit, or document for the state or country in which the resource was legally taken; and

a person produces, upon request of a game warden, a valid driver’s license or personal identification certificate.

This statement is a little confusing, but it is legal to possess fish in Texas from outside the state.

#50 ·
You are right for once. But if you read and understand English, the TPWL regulations reads:

It is unlawful to import a wildlife or aquatic resource into this state or possess a resource taken outside this state unless:

the person possesses a valid hunting, fishing, or other applicable license, endorsement, tag, permit, or document for the state or country in which the resource was legally taken; and

a person produces, upon request of a game warden, a valid driver’s license or personal identification certificate.

To simplify this regulation for you and take the double negatives out:

It is lawful (substituted for unlawful) to import a wildlife or aquatic resource (fish) into this state (Texas)or posses a resource taken outside this state (Texas) if (substituted for unless):

a person possesses a valid fishing license from the state (Louisiana) in which the resource was legally taken; and

Therefore, it is legal to bring Louisiana resources back into Texas. As long has everyone has a valid fishing license for Louisiana. That includes the following:

o Louisiana Annual Fishing License
o Louisiana Day Fishing License
o 3 Day CHAR NR/RS License (if fishing with a Guide)
o A Texas Senior Fishing or Combo License (if over 65)

I hope this clears up this issue!!

P.S. There are two boat ramps on Sabine Lake in Louisiana. Causeway and Deep Bayou (Johnson Bayou).

#49 ·
.....living in Texas with a Houston number.

Helping to perpetuate a conservation issue when the rest of the Gulf and the Premium Texas guides have gone to a more conservation approach to educate anglers.

The meat haul pics are 70's and 80's mentality.

I educate my customers to keep what they will eat this week and release the rest. It is better for the fishery and for fishing.

This TX/LA debate will come to a head. Guess which way it is gonna swing.... because it makes sense to stop the poor practices shown. Filling the freezer makes your fish nasty.

I know for me i dont want to eat fish from a freezer. Perfect way to ruin your excellent eats..... keep what you will eat this week. Release the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.