2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

overnighter- last weekend

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  CHA CHING 
#1 ·
It has been a busy time for me since getting the new boat, got the electronics installed and picked the boat up thursday evening.
I had a five person crew with my son Kyle, Greg, Ronnie, Jeff & Bill aboard when we departed GYB around 10am Friday morning trolled all afternoon at Cerveza & Boomvang looking for a bill fish with no luck.

The plan was to stay at Boomvang overnight but we decided to leave shortly after dark because we couldnt even find bait let alone a Blackfin tuna, went back to Cerveza as we had seen alot of bait activity there earlier in the day.

Fishing was slow at Cerveza but we did manage to boat 10 Blackfin Tuna & all the large hardtails we wanted to put in the live well.

As daylight approached we got the trolling spread set and trolled around both Cerveza rigs until around 10:30am with nothing to show for 4 hours of trolling.

We decided to run to another rig inshore and pulled baits there for another 2 hours with only a small Wahoo so we decided to soak the live baits while tied up to the rig.

This is where the fish finally decided to cooperate a little.

We knew there would probably be big AJS so we dropeed with the 50 & 80 lb class rods so we would have a chance at horsing them out of the rig.

The first four drops resulted in a few minutes of hell as huge fish were hammering the hardtail but breaking the 80lb test line with 20' of 400lb mono leaders, we let out another 20' of rope to move us away from the rig a little, first drop we get hammered again and this time we survive the run and start putting line on the tld50, after 30 minutes we see color and its a huge Warsaw grouper that weighed 65lbs.

We continued to fish until all the live bait was gone with several more breakoff and two large AJS in the boat, one at 55lbs and the other at 45 lbs

the boat did great, and after a few items are fixed by the dealer I will be back on the water before the end of the season.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Kevin

Kevin,
I have to admit it, I made a bad call by leaving Boomvang as early as we did.
Talked to Kevin Dearman (Legacy, 53 Viking). He said they arrived at Nansen at 10:30 Friday night and smoked the tuna on poppers. They quit at 20 yellowfin, biggest 80#.
Not saying we didn't have a good trip. I really enjoyed catching the warsaw.
Next time we'll have to just hang out deep!
Capt. Jeff Gerrans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.