HPXT Length and brand push pole - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Flyfishing Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
SeanSFA
Registered Users-pm+

SeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to PirateSeanSFA has been promoted to Pirate
HPXT Length and brand push pole

I am buying a HPXT and the seller is keeping the pole. Any advice on length and pole brand for a HPXT would be greatly appreciated. Also, any advice in general about the boat would be great too.
SeanSFA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
Stiffy carbon 20ft.would be my choice.
Popperdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Permit Rat
Windknot Light Tackle & Fly

Permit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to PiratePermit Rat has been promoted to Pirate
Length is easy.....it depends on how deep the water is/will be, where you fish. When I was a guide, I used a 21 ft. pole, but I was fishing tarpon in water sometimes 8 ft. deep. But here in Texas I use an 18 footer and so far have not wished for anything longer, in water rarely over 2 ft. deep and usually less. Overall though, I don't think there is a downside to a longer pole.

Another consideration should be composition. Here I recommend the hybrid (glass/graphite) poles. Yes, they weigh a little more than a pure carbon fiber pole, but in deeper water, the latter has a tendency to float up before it can be set. The slightly heavier hybrid does not do this. The Hybrids are slightly more flexible than a carbon pole, so a little effort will be wasted with each thrust, but not nearly as much as with a glass pole. That flexibility also makes staking out a lot easier, since it is the flex in the pole that holds the pole and boat in place. Carbon poles, being a lot stiffer, may have a tendency to pull out, especially in choppy conditions.

Someone mentioned Stiffy. I don't know. My 18 footer is a 1-piece Stiffy composite and the finish has peeled off completely. This is while the pole was off the boat in storage. My hands were getting glass in them and they itched like crazy after just a few minutes on the pole. I sprayed the pole with a clear polyethylene and that helped a lot but IMO, this should never have happened.

As for your boat, I would have to see it. But the best advice I could offer to any skiff owner, is K.I.S.S......The simpler the better, because a skiff is so open to the elements. The less you have, the less there will be to break/corrode/etc.

Last edited by Permit Rat; 02-14-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Permit Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
SWCKurt
Registered Users-pm+

SWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of GunnerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
The recommendation most often given on Microskiff.com is "get the longest pole you can store"

You'll probably never wish you had a shorter pole, but there can be plenty of times you wish your push pole were longer (hold the "thats what she said jokes)

Longer pole = less pushes.
SWCKurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM   #5
buckweet
Registered Users-pm+

buckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Piratebuckweet has been promoted to Pirate
Look up moonlighter out of Florida if they are still around
Did not like stiffy , but I got out of need to pole years ago so they may have improved on product. Stiffy has done good job of marketing, kinda easy with that name .......
buckweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message