2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

RAM Dealer?

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  4 Ever-Fish N 
#1 ·
Do y'all have any suggestions on a screaming deal for a RAM 2500 diesel or gas? Tell me the good, bad and ugly with your experiences. Fed up with the Ford dealers...

Really wanting a 2500 4x4 gas engine. Not sure I can justify the diesel upgrade, but it's an option.

#3 ·
Just bought a diesel 2500 at Covert in Austin.. Had a great experience. Traded in my 2017 F250 . Too many little problems by 61000 miles. New truck has been awesome so far. Tows great. Better fuel economy than my Ford. Interior light years nicer. Bought a Cherokee for daughter over there and ended up going back a week later for the RAM. Prices were more than fair. If you tow at all there is no comparison diesel vs gas. Also sell much easier with relatively high miles.

#5 ·
ive been looking at them as well. Much better pricing on the gas motors in the 2500 platform, but ive never driven one. Does the 6.4 hemi move the truck pretty good? Are tuners recommended? I do very little towing, but when I do its 11,000 pounds. My eco diesel handles is fine, I just want a bigger truck!

#7 ·
I have a 2018 6.4, I don't have any issues with the trucks get up and go. I don't personally think the extra 15-30 ft/lbs of torque would be worth taking the chance of voiding your warranty with a tuner. There are some tuners out there though. The truck is thirsty, no surprises there. Really not bad on the highway it's the stop and go city traffic that'll kill your MPG. Hopefully the 8 speed 2019+ trucks are a little better. My configuration is rated for almost 13K trailer weight. If I was towing 11K often I'd get the Cummins, just Occasionally, the 6.4 will get it done.

As far as dealerships I bought mine used at Clear Lake Dodge, meh. Just an Okay experience. I felt the initial purchase took way too long. I start to get annoyed by the 3rd hour.

#20 ·
I’ve got a 2500 with the 6.4 hemi - it’s my first Ram and I wouldn’t buy another. That hemi has lots of issues, and Ram knows about and doesn’t publicize the engine’s inherent and recurring problems, of course. My truck has also had about 9 recalls for all kinds of things that the dealer has fixed with varying degrees of success. Never had any issues like these with other trucks, so I won’t be a repeat customer. I bought the Ram because I got what I thought was a good deal and I liked their styling and thought they had improved their quality control. I was wrong about that last part.

#13 ·
Gasoline Dodge

Anyone who buys a gas Dodge on purpose and intends on driving it more than two years is a retard. They depreciate 33 % as soon as you leave the lot. Better have gap insurance. Two of my neighbors bought them new and then totaled them. Both had to come up with over 10K to settle the loan.

#14 ·
Anyone who buys a gas Dodge on purpose and intends on driving it more than two years is a retard. They depreciate 33 % as soon as you leave the lot. Better have gap insurance. Two of my neighbors bought them new and then totaled them. Both had to come up with over 10K to settle the loan.
Your math is idiotic , you cannot buy a 45 thousand dollar 2019 6.4 Ram 2500 with 5k miles on for 15k less than it sold for.

#19 ·
I found the best prices so far around the SA area to be at Boerne RAM. I was looking at the Power Wagon with the gas engine but the payload is only like 1500lbs!!! crazy... I can get into a Laramie 4X4 with a Cummins for the same price, so that's a no brainer. I need the payload and I guess having the diesel won't be such a bad thing either...

#23 · (Edited)
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 4WD with the 6.4 hemi.

The day I took it home the transmission would kind of pop into gear if had sat for 20-30 minutes. They actually pulled the entire transmission and replaced it because the engineers in Detroit wanted it sent to them as had never had this issue. It was inconvenient but I was very happy with how situation was handled.

Since then I have had zero issues except a few minor recalls that I can’t even remember what they were for. Nothing engine related. Coming up on 5 years and 80k miles and been very happy. Only complaint is the navigation isn’t great but that is the case in every vehicle I’ve been in.

I got the 4.10 rear end because at the time I pulled our travel trailer (11-12k pounds) about once a month. Not often enough to justify the diesel upgrade cost. It does suck gas as the MDS can’t really kick in above 60mph. I average 13-14 mpg but the savings from the diesel upgrade pays for a lot of gas. it has plenty of horse power, torque, and braking ability. Always felt safe pulling the travel trailer.

I went with the gasser for two main reasons.
1) initial savings pays for a lot of gas and couldn’t justify the need for a diesel as only towed a trailer over 5k pounds maybe a dozen times a year, and those trips were less than 100 miles.
2) diesel off road suck as they will just sink in Type of mud or soft ground.

I’d buy another one without thinking about it. No regrets on getting the gasser but would consider getting the diesel next time. I had 2 tundras prior that I loved but wanted a bigger truck. Cant get a Tundra crew cab with full length bed. I actually got an 8’ bed with my Ram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.