Flooring redo - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
CrappieGirl
Registered Users-pm+

CrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to Pirate
Flooring redo

Had to rip up floor in my daughters room due to a leak in the bathroom.

What's next? What's the best way to get this tar up?? TIA
CrappieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
CrappieGirl
Registered Users-pm+

CrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to PirateCrappieGirl has been promoted to Pirate
Floor pics
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
3reds
Registered Users-pm+

3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Is that a hardwood floor and are you going to sand and finish the floor or go over the top with something else?
3reds is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
CrappieGirl
Registered Users-pm+

[QUOTE=3reds;23543773]Is that a hardwood floor and are you going to sand and finish the floor or go over the top with something else?[/QUOTE

That's concrete. I need to find out how to get the tar up so that whatever we put on top is level..I guess? What you see a little of before you enter the room is hardwood original to the house but that's not what was in the room. That bathroom has Leaked before and caused floor problems so there was some tongue and groove style flooring I pulled out. I'm also trying to figure out what would be best to put down in case we have this problem again.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
3reds
Registered Users-pm+

3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer3reds has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
You can rent them at Home Depot and . you can rent the buffer there too.
They make the diamabrush tools for contrete and for wood floors too.
3reds is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
daddyeaux
Cajun 2 da Bone

daddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Piratedaddyeaux has been promoted to Pirate
It is going to take a lot of elbow grease to get that slab clean. As mentioned rent a floor sander and go to town.
daddyeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Jmandel1218
Registered Users-pm+

Jmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerJmandel1218 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
The ‘tar’ you are talking about is the old cut back glue they used in the old days. Best way to remove it is to sprinkle dry mortar mix on top of it, a light coat, and get after it with a floor scraper. It’s labor intensive and there is no easy way to do it, short of renting a shot machine of some kind. You could cap the floor with a leveler like ‘ Plani patch ‘ also. Good luck
Jmandel1218 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
That looks like tar that was used to hold down wooden screeds for true wood floors. If so, good luck. It is tough.

Google floor mastic remover. There are a lot of options there. If it is black cut back mastic, they will work, maybe the tar as well but unlikely. I can't recommend one, but there are some pro grade solvents that asbestos abatement crews use to remove hot mastic. Don't remember which one is commonly used.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
CrappieGirl
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB II View Post
That looks like tar that was used to hold down wooden screeds for true wood floors. If so, good luck. It is tough.

Google floor mastic remover. There are a lot of options there. If it is black cut back mastic, they will work, maybe the tar as well but unlikely. I can't recommend one, but there are some pro grade solvents that asbestos abatement crews use to remove hot mastic. Don't remember which one is commonly used.
Well I still haven't tackled the project but it still needs to be done. There were true hardwood floors in this room at one time.
Since I'll be the one doing the work I want to get around trying to get the junk up. I think adding some kind of leveler sounds great! Something I can pour and smooth out. I'm going to look into options for this...thanks! Plani patch is where I'll start reading.

Last edited by CrappieGirl; 11-09-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrappieGirl View Post
Well I still haven't tackled the project but it still needs to be done. There were true hardwood floors in this room at one time.
Since I'll be the one doing the work I want to get around trying to get the junk up. I think adding some kind of leveler sounds great! Something I can pour and smooth out. I'm going to look into options for this...thanks! Plani patch is where I'll start reading.
There are a ton of self leveling compounds for flooring, but you don't want to add a bunch of extra height to that area of the floor. If possible, you need to try and get as much of the tar/mastic up as possible, then level over it. Good luck. Some of the old stuff that they used wasn't meant to be taken up.........EVER. Sorry.
RB II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message