Digital antenna attic install - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
gm
Registered Users-pm+

gm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirate
Digital antenna attic install

OK all you guys that cut the cord, need some digital antenna help here. I'm located in Friendswood, and am trying to install a digital antenna IRCA ANT751) in my attic.

I have the coax cable connected to the antenna, and then directly to the TV, but the TV is saying "no signal" on all channels.

The roof does have some aluminum (called tech shield I think) backing inside the attic on the roof decking. Would that possibly be interfering with the reception? Any suggestions on what to try?

Appreciate any help/input.
gm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 03:42 AM   #2
teamfirstcast
Registered Users-pm+

teamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirate
First off make sure the TV input source is set to Antenna, not HDMI, or DVD, or Cable or other inputs. Make sure antenna is pointed (esp if directional) to SW Houston area Missouri City approx. thats where most station towers are located around Houston. Next allow TV to self-program itself to search for channels - this takes about 5-10 min. Should find many as in 50 or more channels. Go back to settings to hide all the ones you prob wont watch or with weak signals. Enjoy FREE HD TV!
teamfirstcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 AM   #3
andre3k
Registered Users-pm+

andre3k has disabled reputation
If you have techshield or any other kind of reflective radiant barrier, it will severely degrade any signal into your attic. Friendswood is only 20 miles east of the Missouri City antenna farm, you should be receiving a full strength signal from every station that transmits from there. Try taking the antenna outside, point it west and rescan the channels and you will know if the radiant barrier is the issue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by andre3k; 01-14-2018 at 04:35 AM.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
saltwatersensations
One more cast....

saltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Piratesaltwatersensations has been promoted to Pirate
I want to do this also. Get it working?
saltwatersensations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
driftwood
Registered Users-pm+

driftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Piratedriftwood has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfirstcast View Post
First off make sure the TV input source is set to Antenna, not HDMI, or DVD, or Cable or other inputs. Make sure antenna is pointed (esp if directional) to SW Houston area Missouri City approx. thats where most station towers are located around Houston. Next allow TV to self-program itself to search for channels - this takes about 5-10 min. Should find many as in 50 or more channels. Go back to settings to hide all the ones you prob wont watch or with weak signals. Enjoy FREE HD TV!
Repeat every time you re position the antenna.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
Hooked
Registered Users-pm+

Hooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to Pirate
Might try adding one of the little signal boosters where the antenna wire connects to the TV. Does wonders for me in League City. However, my antennas are rooftop mounted. I tried mounting one inside my metal building but was no bueno.
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
al_carl
Registered Users-pm+

al_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirateal_carl has been promoted to Pirate
Use this site to find the exact direction to point it but like Andre said, it's pretty much west.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address

Also, why are you putting it in the attic? My HOA says not to put it outside but legally they can't do anything about it.
al_carl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
gm
Registered Users-pm+

gm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirategm has been promoted to Pirate
Got it working, thanks for the feedback. I had to have the TV auto-scan for channels as suggested....Bingo!.

It's in the attic 'cause Momma says it's too ugly for outside! I do have tech-shield but it still seems to get really clear picture especially HD.
Seems to be pretty good so far. I noticed one 1 channel (11) every once in a while the picture will distort momentarily. Might need to tweak the position a bit still.

As for the booster, it does have some sort of round black cylinder that the coax plugs into and the other end has 2 terminals that connect to the antenna....not sure if it's a booster or not.
gm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
andre3k
Registered Users-pm+

andre3k has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm View Post
Got it working, thanks for the feedback. I had to have the TV auto-scan for channels as suggested....Bingo!.

It's in the attic 'cause Momma says it's too ugly for outside! I do have tech-shield but it still seems to get really clear picture especially HD.
Seems to be pretty good so far. I noticed one 1 channel (11) every once in a while the picture will distort momentarily. Might need to tweak the position a bit still.

As for the booster, it does have some sort of round black cylinder that the coax plugs into and the other end has 2 terminals that connect to the antenna....not sure if it's a booster or not.
I have that same antenna. It's been up 3 years and survived a direct lightning strike. Only thing I had to replace on the antenna was the black transformer that you described. I have mine mounted on the roof and it gets great signals from Spring with no issue. I have it split going to three tv's and still don't need a booster.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
Amazon wants to know if you meant RCA ANT751?
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message