A different kind of smoker build - Page 3 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #21
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

sleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Pirate
A different kind of smoker build

Got the cook chamber square and welded in. Started on the smoke stack. I based the stack on what I generally see on vertical smokers. About a 4x4 square stack. So I went from there and started calculating the amount and size of holes I needed trying to match the surface area of a 4x4 area. Started drilling.

Thought to my self that is a little over half what I calculated and that is a lot of holes. Most builds I have seen used 6-8 holes. So I drew a 4x4 area and stacker the coupons.
At this point I decided to keep going to what I had calculated. Figure worst case is it is too much and can be dampened down.

I knew my layout had one too many holes, but for sakes of keeping things uniform I drilled them all.

And one to grow on.

Now for the stack. I went back and forth on designs and ultimately decide I wanted the stack to not be visible and to not be hot to the touch.

Built the stack into the wall then spent a bunch of time building the exit.

The exhaust plate will stick out past the finish wall a little bit.
Moved on to installing a pass through for the temperature probes to go into the pit. Still debating how to finish it off on the outside.

Moved on to start working on the shoot to fill the charcoal tube. That is all for this weekend.

Last edited by sleepersilverado; 09-07-2015 at 10:07 PM.
sleepersilverado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #22
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

sleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Pirate

Got some goodies in the mail. Just your standard bullet hinge but I decided to get brass pins in hopes to not have any issues with rust and binding up.
Received the door gasket. The bulb portion has a stainless inner liner. The bulb thickness is 3/8" and I allowed 1/4" for the gasket. After messing with the gasket some I might shrink the area for the gasket down to 3/16 or so to get a better seal.

That is a 1/4" piece of steel. Went back and forth on the wheels. I could not bring my self to spend $40 and up for one caster. The more and more I searched a lot of the castors looked to be made by the same manufacturer. I found some that looked good from the pictures and they had a brake. These castors are rated at 1k lbs each and cost me $22 each a piece. I am overly impressed with them for their price.

Another reason I chose these was because they are notched on the swivel portion for a stop. Through my searching I found out that the swivel lock can be added. Too my surprise I found the swivel locks in a bolt on form. This will allow me to lock two caster so I can easily move the pit in a straight line but I can unlock the swivel for final maneuvering.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #23
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

This weekend I built a frame for the charcoal shoot. Made sure it was flat and true because this is where the door will seal to. This keeps oxygen out of the charcoal shoot thus preventing the entire charcoal shoot from becoming a fire. I made sure everything was good and true along with being welded out 100%.

Added a piece of tube under it to close it off. Then I started cutting the plate to creat the shoot. Problem is the vertical shoot is not centered so the horizontal shoot had to angle to the right 1/2". Even though it is angled it the side walls are parallel.

I will eventually build a tray that slides out to help with filling the vertical shoot. Not going to be as easy as filling from the top but I did not want a door on the roof and did not want to have to find something to stand on to fill it.
I originally was going to have the top skin of the pit overhand 1/2" on all sides so rain would run off the top. I recently decided I need to add something to pick this thing up with and help tie it down. So I am going to put a D ring at each corner so now the only over hang will be over the door and the stack. So I added so bracing at the corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #24
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

You will have to excuse some of my post, i am doing this off of my phone so i can post the pictures. Got some more goods in the mail. Got my ball valves, the swivel locks for the castors, and my teltru thermometers. Here are the bolt on swivel locks. Not being a caster professional I found it cool that you can bolt on a caster swivel lock.

The thermometers.

Placed them in boiling water to check their accuracy. Hard to tell from the picture but two are exactly the same, probably a hair under 212* and the other is about 214-215.

I am waiting on a hand wheel and some bevel gears. Need to order a few weldable pivot bushings and an axel. That should be the last of the parts gathering.

Last edited by sleepersilverado; 09-18-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #25
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

Been a while since I have been able to work on the pit. But I made a little progress this weekend. I decided to make the main door shorter and build a storage compartment below it to store the BBQ guru. So I insulated that small section and skinned it.

Next I took some 2"x2"x3/16" angle and started making the doors. The flat side will be the out side of the door and get skinned. When building the main door I discovered I had a little warping on the frame causing a low spot in the horizontal tube the door will close to.

The benefit to using the angle as the door structure is I can cut a piece of plate to fit in the door and then bow the inside of the door to match the closing surface. Here is all the doors with their interior skin on them.

I had a little time left so I insulated the two small doors and was able to get the exterior skin on the charcoal shoot door. Had to cut the insulation up into sections to get it in.

Does not look like much but a lot of cutting, fitting, grinding, fitting, welding, then blending in these pieces.

Last edited by sleepersilverado; 10-11-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #26
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

The intake for the firebox will have a 3/4" ball valve with the stoker fan on it then a 2" for the main intake. Since this valve will be under the pit I decided it would be nice to control it from the front. I removed the handle from the valve and miked the threads and they read about .40". I purchased some right angle gears with a .375" bore. I drilled one of the gears out and tapped it to Mach the ball valve threads. Ended up drilling the gear out to .42 so my pos digital caliper is off. I bought a hand wheel with a folding handle to control the valve. I still need to order some pivot bushings and a shaft.
Here is how I tapped the gear to make sure it was parallel to the bore.

Fits nicely.

I still need to cut the lever handle so I can use the stops on it and drill holes in the side of the gear to install set screws.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #27
Flyingvranch

Flyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to PirateFlyingvranch has been promoted to Pirate
You'll enjoy using the BBQ Guru. The guy that invented it was an old family friend. He's passed on now. I use one nearly every time I cook in my Onyx oven.
Flyingvranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2015, 11:01 PM   #28
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

I did not give up, have not had much time to work on the pit with work, hunting, and holidays. I am down to one day a weekend when I get a chance. I have been working on the cook chamber door. I noticed the top of the door warped and tried fixing it 2 times. I have been fought with the door like an x wife for 4 different days. I decided to move on in the name of progress and address the top of the door later.

I laid out the three thermometers and decided I wanted to have them stick out of the front of the door. I built a little jig so they would all stick out the same.

Checking to make sure they are all sticking out the same.

Decided to add bracing to the door to make sure the thermometers stay in the same location.

Don't know if I mentioned it before but the tubing that the door closes on pulled in a little when I welded the inner box. So I built the inside of the door to match the bow. That is what made getting all the thermometers the same height difficult.

Last edited by sleepersilverado; 12-05-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #29
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

The bottom of the door was good and I wanted to make sure it did not move so I added more bracing. As in typical fashion I went overboard. This could be a safe door.

Took a good amount of time to insulate it.

And got one side skinned and the door hung today. It closes pretty true.

That is where it sits now.

Last edited by sleepersilverado; 12-05-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #30
peckerwood
Registered Users-pm+

peckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Pirate
I can't wait to see your first smoke results.When your finished with yours,how about slapping one together for me some weekend.Made my living welding lot of years and still build custom trailers,but my skills are no where near yours.Not so much skills but talent.Keep on keeping on sleeper S.
peckerwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message