A different kind of smoker build - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > DIY (Do it yourself) forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #11
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

sleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Pirate
A different kind of smoker build

Back in action again with some aching none the less. I got to work on the pit this last weekend. I feel like I am not making any progress. Here is a picture where I had cut the shoot down and mocked it up in the pit.

If you look closely you can see that the right leg of the section that holds the fire box is going to interfere with removing the grate from the fire box. So here is where the lack of progress comes in (redo). Below is before I started cutting.

Here is after. The door for the ash box and the door for the cook chamber will overlap a little but will be flush on the front.

I was finally able to start working on closing in the ash box area. I cut and bevel the plates to fit down in the tubing. This takes me a good amount of time to get them fit up.

That is it for now. Hopefully my progress will pick up some once I get back from vacation.

Last edited by sleepersilverado; 07-27-2015 at 05:48 PM.
sleepersilverado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
WildThings
Registered Users-pm+

WildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to PirateWildThings has been promoted to Pirate
Enjoy your vacation! Looking forward to more build pictures!
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

sleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Piratesleepersilverado has been promoted to Pirate
Ended up spending Saturday getting rid of another project and only got to work about 4 hours today before I got a killer back cramp from some hunched over off position welding. But I feel like I am making some progress.

Cleaned and capped the shoot. Installed the fire box into the frame and got the ash box sections all closed in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #14
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

Made some progress today, cut the last piece to go around the transfer tube and complete the "transfer tube box".

Then started cutting the walls for the cook chamber.

Spent a lot of time trouble shooting the plasma cutter. Put new consumables on the torch and it ran like a dream again.
Public service announcement, if you use a sanding disk with a backup pad wear a glove the hand that is holding the grinder. This type of setup is made to be ran flat so you can not use the guard. I know better and let my guard down and cough an edge and attempted to grind my knuckles off. One of these.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

Did a little work today. Got the last wall of the cook chamber in and put in the 1/2" spacers that the second interior wall will mount to. The second wall will creat a chase on each side where the heat and smoke will travel up and then enter the cook chamber at the top.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #16
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

Got the top of the cook chamber in, the floor, and the false walls partly in.

Left 1-1/4" at the top to let the heat and smoke out.
Clamped two framing squares together to make sure the walls are square and parallel so I won't have any issues when building the racks.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
cubera
Registered Users-pm+

cubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepersilverado View Post
Made some progress today, cut the last piece to go around the transfer tube and complete the "transfer tube box".

Then started cutting the walls for the cook chamber.

Spent a lot of time trouble shooting the plasma cutter. Put new consumables on the torch and it ran like a dream again.
Public service announcement, if you use a sanding disk with a backup pad wear a glove the hand that is holding the grinder. This type of setup is made to be ran flat so you can not use the guard. I know better and let my guard down and cough an edge and attempted to grind my knuckles off. One of these.
Great looking welds.
Noticed what you're using to grind welds.
Give this setup a look at. Usually when you grind you'll see dust. With these you actually see metal shavings. They are way better than regular discs or flap wheel type and last longer. Another great feature is they grind welds flat.
No tools needed to change one out. They stick out just beyond the backing pad (required), just spin it off.
I bought the 36 grit package, sure saved my arms and hands.
You can thank me later.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages01
cubera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
berto
Registered Users-pm+

berto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirateberto has been promoted to Pirate
Nice build !
berto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
sleepersilverado
Registered Users-pm+

I might have to give those a try. The thing I like about the ones I have is I can go 1/2 mile down the road and pick up more disk.

Almost like Christmas this week but some parts I wanted to show up did not. I ordered the door gasket $$ ouch, the door latches $$ ouch, the door hinges, and picked up some ceramic fiber insulation $$$$ huge ouch. Think I am going to rename this project. "Project over kill.

Latches are nice quality all stainless. Took me 4 days to find them on Google. They are polar 506 flush latches. None of the local put builders would sell them to me or even tell me what they were or where to buy them.
Purchased at www.cottco.com

Here is the insulation. I am still gritting my teeth at the cost. But it is supposed to be better than the mineral wool and is rated at 2600*
Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #20
cubera
Registered Users-pm+

cubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Piratecubera has been promoted to Pirate
Life of these is a lot greater than anything you've ever used before.
cubera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message