2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Good surf fishing spots along the coast?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  fultonswimmer 
#1 ·
I live about an hr North of Austin,TX. Last year I drove to PINS to surf fish. We drove all the way south to the jetties only to find it crowded. I’m just getting into surf fishing and figure there’s gotta be spots just as good that are a lot closer drive. I’ll only get to go a couple times a summer so the shorter drive will help. Also would like to camp on the beach if it’s allowed
Please help me out, just need some closer places that we can catch some fish
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Seems like Matagorda is closer to you. It is where I fish if i choose to go to the beach. It is about 180 miles from Austin to Gorda vs. 213 from Austin to Corpus. Gorda has good fishing. The surf in Gorda seems to be either a homerun or a dinker. Camping is allowed and if you have 4X4 you can get to some pretty isolated stretches of beach. I always enjoy my trips to Matagorda Beach. Always seem to need fishing partners as well, so hit me up and we will make a trip.

#4 ·
Surf fishing

Next time give the bollards at the north most point of PINS a try. Turn onto the beach access road just before you get to the gate entry onto PINS. You can fish along that park of the park all the way back to Corpus and when you hit the next set of bollards back towards Corpus you are in Kleberg County(I think I got that right) and then back onto Nueces County nearer Bob Hall Pier.
If you do decide to head towards Matagorda you might want to venture on out to Sargent(guys on here are big on that body of water) or head up the road just a bit to Brazoria Beach Park on Quintana Island. Camp in the park or the beach and fish either the surf, the small Freeport Pier or the jetties on the Freeport side or on the other side at Surfside.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.