Tarpon at Bob Hall Pier - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Texas Tarpon
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon Tarpon at Bob Hall Pier

It has been a long time since I have fished Bob Hall Pier during the Summer for Tarpon, Kingfish and Jacks. I went last week with the old man and caught some bait periodically throughout the day waiting for that one hit. There was a gentleman next to us that caught a King around 2:00 PM and about an hour after that another man caught a Tarpon and beached it. Well we were patiently waiting for our turn, checking the bait on the lines throughout the day making sure it was still alive and replacing them as they died. Well we wait it out till 8:30 PM when we decide to call it. I get up and walk to the slide line to reel it in and I reach for the rod/reel when all of a sudden the reel starts screaming I immedately grab the rod and the fight is on! I almost forgot what a fish of that caliber felt like, guess I have been fishing for Trout and Reds too much. After about a 15 minute fight the old man took out his cell and grabbed a quick 1 minute video of the Tarpon and me.

Here are some pictures I was able to pull from the video. If anyone wants to see the short 1 minute video then I can post the link to it as well. Please excuse the poor picture quality, unfortunately I didn't have the GoPro or the Cannon DSLR with us.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mattikins; 07-26-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Mattikins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Bill C
Registered Users-pm+

Bill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to PirateBill C has been promoted to Pirate
Very cool. Well done.
Bill C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
sotexhookset
Banned

sotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Pirate
Very cool bud. The video would be neat to see as well.
sotexhookset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Mattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to PirateMattikins has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks guys. Here is the link:
https://youtu.be/wtMPnVkklzE

It won't win an Academy award and this was taken when the fight was pretty much over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Nice work!!
Old 07-31-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
fishinguy
Registered Users-pm+

fishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Piratefishinguy has been promoted to Pirate
wow a tarpon on a pier is an awesome accomplishment
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
Mattikins
Mirrolure Semi-Pro Staff

Thanks y'all. Yeah it gets a little dicey catching them from a pier because they can: shoot the pier, wrap around a piling and cut you off, pick up the bait and wrap around a piling before you even have a chance to grab the rod. Sometimes you got to just lock it down and Jack 'em up! There is no chasing them down in the boat lol. It is a ton of fun though.

We have been catching some nice Kings from the pier as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mattikins; 07-31-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
dbarham
Registered Users-pm+

dbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Pirate
Nice!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dbarham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
ToTheBacking
Registered Users-pm+

ToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of GunnerToTheBacking has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Nice fish!
ToTheBacking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
The only time I have personally seen a tarpon hooked and landed was on Bob Hall pier. I was probably 12 years old, and some of us would give live fish of some particular species to the tarpon guys for bait. Two were hooked and jumped and 1 landed. The one landed was about 6' if I remember right. After all this time I still remember seeing it first jump.... spectacular. If I could have filmed what I witnessed it would have been Nat Geo worthy, at least as I remember it.
Whitebassfisher is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message