Wade fishing hazards - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 AM   #41
Rockfish2
Registered Users-pm+

Rockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to PirateRockfish2 has been promoted to Pirate
Also, I used to think if I waded in water clear enough to see the bottom I could see the stingrays and avoid them. Made me feel safer if I forgot to shuffle for a little bit. Then I saw a good sized one glide about five feet in front of me, stop and slowly sink down through the seaweed until he disappeared. Not to mention the ones that hide in the mud to warm up in the winter with only their tails barely visible. Always shuffle!
Rockfish2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #42
richmondc7
Registered Users-pm+

richmondc7 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I introduced a friend to salt water fishing and he was "hooked." However he had big concerns about stingrays. I told him I had not been stung in 25yrs of wade fishing. That didn't seem to help. So I took him to Pringle lake just after the water had become gin clear. As we waded we saw hundreds of stingrays in the clear water. He saw that they were really interested in staying out of our way. Eventually he quit focusing on the rays and returned to a focus on catching fish. If I have a point it is to respect mother nature. Caution+respect=wisdom
richmondc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #43
Chuck06R1
Registered Users-pm+

Chuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to PirateChuck06R1 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondc7 View Post
I introduced a friend to salt water fishing and he was "hooked." However he had big concerns about stingrays. I told him I had not been stung in 25yrs of wade fishing. That didn't seem to help. So I took him to Pringle lake just after the water had become gin clear. As we waded we saw hundreds of stingrays in the clear water. He saw that they were really interested in staying out of our way. Eventually he quit focusing on the rays and returned to a focus on catching fish. If I have a point it is to respect mother nature. Caution+respect=wisdom
I had a stingray get curious as to what I was. I was about knee/thigh deep and this little dinner plate sized ray kept swimming towards me. I'd use my rod tip and gently nudge him in a different direction but he kept coming back. Finally, I just stood there and let him do his thing. He swam around each leg, stopping on my foot and, when his curiosity was over he just swam away.

They're not out to hurt you but I think they have a stigma about them that creeps people out.
Chuck06R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #44
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse View Post
Just out of curiosity, has there ever been an alligator attack on a wader in Texas?
Yes, it happened to Ray Sexton. Should be able to find it in google.
Drundel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #45
cruss
Registered Users-pm+

cruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Piratecruss has been promoted to Pirate
Dolphins
cruss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #46
mccain
\m/

mccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Pirate
me, my daughter, my wife, and my brother have all been hit by stingrays.
sucks.
we're all a bunch of shufflers now. i wear ray guards when wading.
mccain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #47
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccain View Post
me, my daughter, my wife, and my brother have all been hit by stingrays.
sucks.
we're all a bunch of shufflers now. i wear ray guards when wading.
Describe the hits if you can, just how bad were each? I’ve never been hit, but it seems to be variable on how bad it is. I know one guy that was hit twice and one of the times he passed out from the pain.

Did you or your family have any lingering effects?
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2020, 12:07 AM   #48
SKIPJACKSLAYER
Registered Users-pm+

SKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to Pirate
Listens to a podcast recently that featured Jay Watkins. He said something that really caught my attention. When asked about different dangers and predators in our bays, he said “well taking your kids wade fishing is safer than letter your kids go to the movies. There are definitely dangerous predators at the movies.” Just use your head man. If you notice big sharks in the area, move shallow. Don’t be wading chest deep with a stringer full of fish in summer in shark territory. San Luis pass really humbled me years ago on that. There are puncture resistant boots to help you with your stingray fear. Called Barts Bay Armor. I bought a pair and they are legit. Watch his demo vids. Don’t wade new areas in the winter if you are uncertain of big drop offs. Wear an inflatable pfd if your gonna get brave. I know vibro and other bacteria can scare u. That mostly effects ppl with immunity disorders though. I would argue that fog can be the biggest danger you might encounter, depending on the area. We all make mistakes, just gotta learn from them. Stay safe
SKIPJACKSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #49
mccain
\m/

mccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
Describe the hits if you can, just how bad were each? I’ve never been hit, but it seems to be variable on how bad it is. I know one guy that was hit twice and one of the times he passed out from the pain.

Did you or your family have any lingering effects?
i was the luckiest of the bunch. had neoprene surf shoes on. cut right thru the shoe. wading at GISP by moonlight. felt like someone stabbed the top of my foot with broken glass. put a band aid and neosporin on it. it hurt pretty good though. brother got hit at SPI while we were on a surf trip 30yrs ago. drove himself to island clinic. he was out of commission for a couple of days. said he was getting lockjaw as he drove. wife's hit was tough on her as well. daughter's was the worst. hit just below ankle on the inside. still has nerve pain 4yrs later if someone touches it
mccain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #50
pick44
Registered Users-pm+

pick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Piratepick44 has been promoted to Pirate
Many years ago, wading in red high top tennis shoes in Rockport, the rays, took a liking to my shoe color. And would come up and give them a really long look over. Never worn them again.
pick44 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message