Wade fishing hazards - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 PM   #11
1TroutTodd
Registered Users-pm+

1TroutTodd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
It’s like many things in life there are dangers and there are precautions.

Thousands of people die in car accidents a year or injured.

The way I look at it, your chances of getting vibrio or eating by a shark is less then killed in a car crash so why worry about it?

Pay attention to your surroundings, practice good safety, be prepared and you will be ok.
1TroutTodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #12
hookemandcookem
Registered Users-pm+

hookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhookemandcookem has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane matt View Post
I got hit bad surf fishing. I always was careful wading in the bay but got Barb stuck in my foot after walking back after casting out a fresh bait on a long rod. I had been there for a while and walked the same paths all morning so go figure. I shuffle Everytime my feet in the water. This happened in the Wade gut.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
iv heard that rays can move in behind your trail to feed, makes sense i guess. if you kick up stuff for smaller bait to eat and they move in on the bait.
hookemandcookem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #13
KurtActual
Dink Master

KurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerKurtActual has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookemandcookem View Post
iv heard that rays can move in behind your trail to feed, makes sense i guess. if you kick up stuff for smaller bait to eat and they move in on the bait.
Yep, I've watched it happen at my own feet. Wading in about 24" of water in Galveston, the mud and sand I was stirring up was all around my feet, I watch a ray move from 7' infront of me straight to my toes. Pucker factor was at least a 7 out of 10, haha.
KurtActual is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #14
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
My biggest fear is definitely stingrays. I've been hit by a jellyfish twice.. Yes it burns and stings, but it isnt that bad... Give it 15 mins I forget about it
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #15
BDGreen
Registered Users-pm+

BDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to PirateBDGreen has been promoted to Pirate
I've never been hit by a ray and I don't know anyone who has. Just how bad is it?
BDGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #16
Flat Nasty
Registered Users-pm+

Flat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to Pirate
You can over analyze everything in the world. Find a bank and jump out the boat and learn the bottom. I wade so far sometimes it takes me 30-45 min to walk back. That’s the time I reflect on how much I suck at fishing lol
Flat Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 10:14 AM   #17
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Ask Steve Irwin. Probably depends on where the ray gets you and maybe how big it is. I've never been hit either, but have known grown men to pass out from the pain.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #18
cottonpicker
Registered Users-pm+

cottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Piratecottonpicker has been promoted to Pirate
In my opinion if you wear stingray guards and quality boots, stingrays will not be an issue to loose sleep over. Here again in my opinion the Crackshot Brand is superior because of the third strap that keeps them placed tightly downward on your boots. On another note, I wish there was a site where anytime someone saw an alligator, it could be reported. I wade solo (even if someone is fishing with me on that particular day) on almost every outing. I sometimes get 1/2 mile from the boat in remote back lakes and creeks. I have yet to cross paths with a gator while wading but have seen numerous from the boat. I hope that day never comes. I know there are gators in Lighthouse Cove and Army Hole, yet feel safe in Big Pocket or Pringle. That is stupid (feeling safe) when they are right in the next pocket of water. Someone needs to start a new thread just about places to avoid wading because of alligator sightings.
cottonpicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #19
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
There's also the new brand Barts Bay Armor - I'd say they are more for summer wading but perhaps if sized correctly useable with waders.

Only condition I saw ya'll missed was don'e wade super steep slopes like passes but some of those also form on the back end of shell reefs like Bull Shoales as well. Steep and Deep can get you as you have to swim to get back up on the things if you dunk off the thing.

Areas with slick bottoms and high currents are also a danger.

Not properly anchoring your boat while wading is also a danger. Several lives have been lost after anglers have used a powerpole on a reef, rocks, or even the right sand bottom and the boat floated off due to wave action or tide rising and wind... they went to swim after it and lost their lives. I love my powerpole and use it for stopping the boat.. rarely do I 'anchor' with it unless shallow and sufficient depth penetration of the stick and relatively protected. In other cases make sure your anchor is 'set'... meaning you deploy it and either push it in with your foot or let the boat pull tight until secure.

Using a manual pin such homemade or commercial anchor pin is just as bad. If they are on too short a leash and wave action tugs upwards.. by bye rig. Securely Anchor your rig while wading.

Not securely anchoring is another hazard in itself. Never put the anchor on the oyster shell. Deploy the anchor in Mud or enough mud with a little oyster is ok but make sure it is secure. Many times on mud that covers a reef the anchor doesn't penetrate enough to really hold it after the wind comes up. I've seen many an anchor come up in those conditions. Back your rig off up wind, deploy anchor in mud, then give out enough rope to position the boat back over the reef and get out. If you want to anchor on the downwind side of the reef, walk the anchor across the reef and deploy it in mud on the upwind side of the reef and secure it and test it.

I'm with others.. all the dangers are mitigable with education and awareness. Im wading.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #20
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thDr View Post
Safest bet is to forget fishing at the coast and leave it to those of us too dumb to think about the risks. It is too crowded and dangerous to be worth it. Right, guys? Oh yea, the surf. Life jacket.
that is a good one.

I have been wade fishing since I was a teenager. The father of the person who got me into it, was a good educator. Their place was near SLP and our first lessons were about the treacherous currents there, limit wading to almost anywhere else, but other places with strong currents, like major passes, should also be avoided. And it never hurts to wear a life jacket when you are in unfamiliar waters. Ones made for kayakers are the most comfortable to fish in.

Stingrays. I used to get harped on by my Dad for shuffling my feet. It irritated him, but I was just unknowingly training to be a wade fisherman . Waded so many miles of shorelines and reefs that I can't even count them. It wasn't until I got a pair of Everlast Ray Guards that I got hit and that was because I got lazy and had a comfort level from the boots. They did their job, the barb didn't even go 1/8" into the rubber/Kevlar. Went back to always shuffling my feet.

I am taller than the average Joe and often get sent ahead of my buddies when we trying to get across the mouth of a drain, so I have stepped off into a deep hole or some soft mud now and again, but nothing has ever come of it.

Sharks. They've been close to me only two times that I know of. When I was 17, a friend and I were wading the 3rd bar of the beachfront and each had 15 or more trout on our stringers (the limit was 20 back then). A 5-6 foot bull shark pulled me a few feet when it was taking my trout. I got the stringer cut loose and didn't wade the third bar again. I still wade the surf every chance I get, but don't go more than belly high beyond the second bar and if I have fish on the stringer, I keep my head on a swivel or, if the catching slows down, I'll put those in the cooler and go back out. The other time, I had a few trout on a stringer and had a blow-up on my topwater. I thought for sure it was a big trout, so I kept working that area. Before I knew it, a fin popped up behind my lure and followed it all the way to me. I was standing in less than 3 feet of clear water, so that bull shark was plainly visible as it circled me a few times. My dumb brain didn't kick in for a minute to remember to pull my fish out of the water. Once I did that and swatted that shark on the head a couple of times with my topwater, it swam away and I went and put my fish in the cooler. I haven't been too keen on West Matagorda Bay since then, though I haven't exactly avoided it.

Alligators. Not often, but I have had an alligator "observe" me closely because I had fish on the stringer. Both times at the Aransas NWR, both times I am pretty sure it was the same gator and both times I just got out of the water and called it a day.

Vibrio. I think about it a lot more than I used to, but still fish. During the heat of the summer, I'm a lot more wary, but I have a good immune system and a healthy liver, so my likelihood of getting infected is pretty low.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message