Fuel / water seperator swap - before or after burning up old fuel? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 03-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
RobATX
Registered Users-pm+

RobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to Pirate
Question Fuel / water seperator swap - before or after burning up old fuel?

I have about 60 gal in my tank from last year treated with marine stabil and sea foam. I last swapped fuel filters about 100 hrs ago. Heading out soon (hopefully lol) to burn up the rest of that fuel. I'll take a 50gal bladder with fresh stuff.

I was thinking about dumping out my fuel/water separators and re-installing them before the trip instead of installing the new ones I have here at the house for this season... then installing them when I get back.

I tried to find info regarding whether this is effective with no luck. Figured the 2cool "think tank" would lead me to a concensus ;-)

Anyone know if this actually works? I know I know... the motors aren't worth the risk. Just wanted other's thoughts based on 100 hr filter age.

1995 Yamaha 225's (corrosion problem already taken care of ;-P)

Thanks!
RobATX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
mrsh978
Play Deep

mrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Piratemrsh978 has been promoted to Pirate
If you have drains on bottom - drain them before , use up old fuel and then refuel and replace with new filters. Take new ones out with you in case of catastrophic failure
mrsh978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #3
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
I think I would be mixing some new fresh fuel with the old before I did anything.
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I would do nothing special. Top off with fresh and let er rip. Refuel as necesssary. Change your fuel filter as your normally would.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
jamesw
Registered Users-pm+

jamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Pirate
It wouldn't hurt to put a couple of bottles of octane booster into that old fuel.

Change out your filter/seps after you burn up the old fuel.

HTH
James
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
I always top off with highest octane fuel I can find. Run one trip then put on new spin on filters. On good years I fish enough in Jan and Feb not to worry about it, this year has not been a good year.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
RobATX
Registered Users-pm+

RobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks guys. Does anyone know if dumping the current fuel filters out before the trip will improve their ability to catch more water? I looked around online but couldn't find any information.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
RobATX
Registered Users-pm+

Unfortunately I don't have the filters with drains on the bottom...
Old 03-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
Cat O' Lies
Kamikaze

Cat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to PirateCat O' Lies has been promoted to Pirate
Racor filters have the see thru bowls with drains.
https://www.westmarine.com/fuel-filters/racor
Cat O' Lies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Filters are cheap enough. If worried just change em. If going thru the trouble of taking off and draining just change em.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message